Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me start by saying that I believe that the XP Deus makes the best detector on the market. I will always default back to the XP Deus when I am questioning which detector to use. However, I like to park hunt and in the old parks are deep coins. As many of you know the Deus will raise the conductivity on deep non ferrous, so deep coins can all sound the same and show the same VDI. Well ever since I purchased the x35 coils and updated to Software Vol. 5.2 bottle caps have both sounded the same and produced the same VDI as a quarter (clad and silver). I decided to make a video in my test garden showing the difference between the Deus Fast vs the Deus Deep programs on bottle caps and a clad quarter. The signals are all almost identical on all targets in both Deus Fast and Deus Deep. I believe that the bottle cap is the Achilles' Heel of the XP Deus with this current software volume. Previous Software volumes would allow you to see the mineralization bar to spike when you swung the coil over a bottle cap. No longer the case. If anyone has the solution to differentiating the bottle cap from a good non ferrous then please let me know? Otherwise enjoy the video.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched. Have you ever used the XY screen for bottle caps. I forget for sure but i think it helps..

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try the XY screen back in the summer when I purchased the x35 coils and updated to software vol 5.2 and it didn't make a difference. But I am open to all suggestions.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several things you can do. Look on you tube "XP Deus bottle caps".

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several things you can do. Look on you tube "XP Deus bottle caps".

There are no up to date videos. They are all at least a year old. So none of the videos will show Software Vol. 5.2

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Nice video
Boy I sure can't tell them apart on my screen.
I don't hunt many parks around here, but just got back from Maui and ran the 9" HF coil in Deus fast in 13kHz in the dry sand.
There was a ton of caps... dry sand and a scoop made it easy.
I could tell the differance in a coin and a cap though.
Dug a bunch!! didn't want to miss anything.
And the scenery was great.
I know no help, but just wanted to say thanks for the video.
Maybe I'll hit a few parks and see what I can come up with...

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn up the Silencer....way up....

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no up to date videos. They are all at least a year old. So none of the videos will show Software Vol. 5.2

I'm running v5.2 with 9" X35 coil. Gotta have the iron volume on a little. Pull the coil off the target and listen for iron. Or lift the coil and watch for VDI to drop. Or set up a lower frequency program and flip over to it to see if the VDI drops or not. Or use XY graph. They all work for me most of the time. I dig very few. Remember to turn ID Norm OFF.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running v5.2 with 9" X35 coil. Gotta have the iron volume on a little. Pull the coil off the target and listen for iron. Or lift the coil and watch for VDI to drop. Or set up a lower frequency program and flip over to it to see if the VDI drops or not. Or use XY graph. They all work for me most of the time. I dig very few. Remember to turn ID Norm OFF.

All of the above! I keep a low-frequency version of my coin program right next to it on the program list so I can easily switch to it to watch for a VDI change.

Good hunting,
Bob

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn up the Silencer....way up....

That^

Note that on 5.2 silencer is turned off for reactivity settings 2.5 and higher and maxes out at 3 for lower reactivity settings (0 and 1) and 2 for reactivity 2. I have found that bottlecaps break up noticeably if you set silencer to 3 or above and also if you use higher coil frequencies (e.g., 18 - 28 khz). The main drawback to high silencer settings is a higher chance of ferrous masking of non-ferrous targets. If the only ferrous you are dealing with is crown caps, then give it a shot and see if the broken tone with silencer becomes a bottlecap tell. Should not affect actual clad and silver signals unless they are deep (so keep reactivity at 2 or less). Should work ok at normal 8 and 12 khz coin shooting frequencies, but I have not used it much myself at those frequencies. I do know that it works great on the HF coil at 28 khz and use it extensively to bypass crowncaps when dry beach hunting. If you can afford to take the depth hit, try it at 18 or even 25 khz if the lower frequencies are not giving you a clear bottlecap tell. HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome feedback guys. Looks like I will be doing another future video showing these suggestions and if they are effective or not.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That^

Note that on 5.2 silencer is turned off for reactivity settings 2.5 and higher and maxes out at 3 for lower reactivity settings (0 and 1) and 2 for reactivity 2. I have found that bottlecaps break up noticeably if you set silencer to 3 or above and also if you use higher coil frequencies (e.g., 18 - 28 khz). The main drawback to high silencer settings is a higher chance of ferrous masking of non-ferrous targets. If the only ferrous you are dealing with is crown caps, then give it a shot and see if the broken tone with silencer becomes a bottlecap tell. Should not affect actual clad and silver signals unless they are deep (so keep reactivity at 2 or less). Should work ok at normal 8 and 12 khz coin shooting frequencies, but I have not used it much myself at those frequencies. I do know that it works great on the HF coil at 28 khz and use it extensively to bypass crowncaps when dry beach hunting. If you can afford to take the depth hit, try it at 18 or even 25 khz if the lower frequencies are not giving you a clear bottlecap tell. HTH.

When you start messing with the silencer setting then you start affecting detection depth. The only reason that I use the LF coil is to maximize detection depth, so I will run some more tests. The HF coil is a little different, but bottle caps are still an issue. It seems easier to tell the target depth with the HF coils which in turn makes it easier to determine if the target is trash. Thanks for the feedback V.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you start messing with the silencer setting then you start affecting detection depth.

I forgot to mention adding silencer in my post.

I think it's odd that XP chose to automatically link the silencer setting to the reactivity setting. It's the only setting they don't trust us to adjust? The fact that it is automatically linked does kind of make you feel like you shouldn't mess with it...

Bob

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me???

I have first hand experience in not turning the ID Norm OFF. Went several hours that way. No doubt missed many good targets. Yeah, felt foolish for sure. But actually I think it is irresponsible to post a video claiming things that aren't so. It's misinformation. I guess i just don't understand why you would do that. Angry about something I guess.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I have first hand experience in not turning the ID Norm OFF. Went several hours that way. No doubt missed many good targets. Yeah, felt foolish for sure. But actually I think it is irresponsible to post a video claiming things that aren't so. It's misinformation. I guess i just don't understand why you would do that. Angry about something I guess.

Was your first time out with the Deus on March 27?

Amazing!

g

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you start messing with the silencer setting then you start affecting detection depth. The only reason that I use the LF coil is to maximize detection depth, so I will run some more tests. The HF coil is a little different, but bottle caps are still an issue. It seems easier to tell the target depth with the HF coils which in turn makes it easier to determine if the target is trash. Thanks for the feedback V.

I have only heard claims of impact on detection depth with high silencer settings, I have never seen objective evidence that depth is actually affected. The only confirmed effect demonstrated was increased propensity for one way masking per tests conducted by Tnsharpshooter. This is similar to the claim that high levels of discrimination affect detection depth, which you yourself, demonstrated in your test garden was not necessarily the case. I cannot imagine that high silencer settings would be any worse than high disc settings at affecting depth. Hope you can come up with some tests to prove that one way or the other. Can’t wait to see what you come up with, B. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only heard claims of impact on detection depth with high silencer settings, I have never seen objective evidence that depth is actually affected. The only confirmed effect demonstrated was increased propensity for one way masking per tests conducted by Tnsharpshooter. This is similar to the claim that high levels of discrimination affect detection depth, which you yourself, demonstrated in your test garden was not necessarily the case. I cannot imagine that high silencer settings would be any worse than high disc settings at affecting depth. Hope you can come up with some tests to prove that one way or the other. Can’t wait to see what you come up with, B. Thanks.

Yes, you are right. The higher silencer levels have minimum affect on detection depth. Although the sound is slightly affected on deep non ferrous. I did a little playing around in my test garden this morning with the x35 and HF round coils. Using the XY screen was the only noticeable way to differentiate the bottle caps and it was not perfect. I just spoke with a guy from the XP Deus USA team on the phone and will be trying his method to knock out bottle caps. After I do some testing and have some good intel I will post a Part 2 video.

I have very little experience using the silencer at all. When I purchased the Deus lite kit 3 years ago I was forced to use silencer since it was on each preset program and not customizable. I quickly purchased the control box and removed all silencer settings on my programs and start actually digging desirable targets. Haven’t used silencer since. Maybe time to introduce silencer in certain specific conditions?

Thanks again for the feedback.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was a little confused, probably just me. are we talking about screw off bottlecaps like for a beer or aluminum ones for say a 2 liter?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and Duh, haven't even watched the video yet so the answer is probably there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread