Bottle Caps...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even an upgrade wouldn't help because all the display will tell you is what it could be as the guts of the detector only report on the conductivity of the object. In this case even the bottle cap and the quarter are near the same conductivity. If the quarter was on edge it would give a slightly different reading, but it would still be a quarter or a different bottle cap.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
With my Garrett 1350 the bottle cap will sound off as a quarter. However, when I "X" over a quarter I get good solid dings telling me it is a quarter no matter which way I swing the coil. When I "X" over the bottle cap the signal is less solid. It will not be solidly a quarter ding. This same thing can happen if there is a quarter and something else near it (this is called masking). What I do is use a slender probe to locate and gently tap on the object. The quarter is a solid thunk, but the bottle cap is tinny. I usually dig the bottle cap just in case there is something being masked. One bottle cap I dug up was masking a small cache of 4 quarters. They were not visible when I dug out the cap, I found them when I re-scanned the area. Try a test with a bottle cap and a quarter out in the yard to see the difference in how the Garrett sings out...

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Smudge said:
I hear the Ace 250/350 loves to sound off on them as quarters.

Short of upgrading, is there a way to indentify a bottle cap as a bottle cap?

yes..buy a GTI unit and the bottlecap comes up the next size bigger than coins :headbang:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my ACE 250 in jewelry mode and notch out one more segment.I dig very few bottle caps and when i do its usually rusty.

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What dogpound said. I dig far fewer bottle caps with my GTI1500 than my ACE250. That imaging thing really works. But slap a sniper coil on that 250 and watch out.

godigit1

Greenie
Jan 12, 2011
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
New Gold bug Minelab Sd 2200v2 Tersoro Sand Shark Whites Gm 3
I dont have a garrett but one trick I learned with my DD coil comes from Dave J of fisher. If you pin point the target and then back your coil to the front or back edge and come to the target it will give a solid low tone signal for me and I almost never dig bottle caps anymore except to recheck myself. I would be interested in knowing if this is the case with all machines and or DD coils.
Give it a try and let me know how it works or doesn't for you.
Hope it does as Ive been considering the At.
good luck! :occasion14:

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
godigit1
YES , in fact checking the target with the heel and toe of the DD coil on the AT Pro will in fact sound off with a deep signal if it is in fact a crown cap ......I forget who it was that mentioned it , but this is the case ...Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread