gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The "heyday" of bottle clubs was in the late 60's to mid seventies. Everybody was doing it, diggin the killer town dumps it spread like wildfire. They were talkin about tectors. Not for coins or relics, but for finding the dumps. Smart guys they were. I was a member of a bottle club in or around the early seventies and I cut my teeth on a cool little toc town dump in my neighbor's wooded yard he would kick us out and did a hundred times I found the dump by pulling out a bot after I stuck my arm down a woodchuck hole dont forget I was only seven my buddy screams Hey! Thats worth a lot of money! i was hooked. But all the good dumps got dug out and the madness was over just as quick as it began. A lot of the successful digger folks back then did not rely on the old town dump. They got permish from ancient farms and hit the old crap pile in the back forty. We are talking iron pontiled sodas and historical flasks. But the great old collections were not amassed by the digger guys. The original guys back in the twenties and thirties would travel around and knock on doors and spread the word that they were buying old heirloom bots sitting on the shelf for a hundred years. And they got the best ones.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What great memories you've depicted,I needed to start much sooner methinks.Its not even so much the monetary value of bottles that gets me excited as it is just the sheer beauty and uniqueness of them.Looks like I might have to relegate myself to just finding bottles at Civil War shows,studying up on them and trying to get a good deal. I'm glad that Woidchuck didn't tear you up!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Coily,

What happened with that construction site, at which you found the Ottenville shard? Did you comb those piles?

When you see a new construction site that involves excavating, you gotta move.

There are reputedly some excellent annual bottle shows in Memphis & Grey. I don't know if the Middle Tennessee Club is still active, but you might try:

Middle Tennessee Bottle & Collector's Club
1750 Keyes Road
Greenbrier, TN 37073 US
Phone: (615) 643-0290

There's a different address in Michael Polak's book.

Good luck.

Logo-Memphis.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks to Reggie Lynch:

Please make plans to attend an upcoming bottle show in your area (details in
link at bottom):
Sep 20-21 Aurora, OR
Sep 21 Santa Ana, CA
Sep 22 Indianapolis, IN
Sep 22 Buffalo, NY
Sep 27-28 Liberty, NC
Sep 28 Memphis, TN
Sep 28 Albuquerque, NM
Sep 29 Greensboro, NC
Sep 29 Batsto, NJ
Sep 29 Richfield, OH
Sep 29 Lowell, MA
Oct 4-5 Canyonville, OR
Oct 5 Chesterfield, VA
Oct 5 Point Pleasant, WV
Oct 5 Metairie, LA
Oct 6 Dryden, NY
Oct 6 Chelsea, MI
Oct 11-12 Santa Rosa, CA
CANCELLED: Oct 12 Woodstock, CT Heckler's Columbus Day
Oct 13 Keene, NH
Oct 20 Findlay, OH
Oct 20 Scriba, NY
Oct 27 Glendale Heights, IL
Nov 1-2 Tulare, CA
Nov 3 Elkton, MD
Nov 3 Coventry, CT
Nov 8-9 Jacksonville, FL
Nov 9 Royal Oak, MI
Nov 9 Belleville, IL
Nov 10 Albany, NY
Nov 10 Pittsburgh, PA
Nov 10 Oakland, NJ
Nov 23 Terre Haute, IN
Nov 23 Mildford, OH
Dec 1 Bethlehem, PA
Dec 7 Roseville, CA
Dec 8 Enfield, CT

Full details on these shows (and others) can always be found here:
Antique Bottle Show Event Calendar

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Coily,

What happened with that construction site, at which you found the Ottenville shard? Did you comb those piles?

When you see a new construction site that involves excavating, you gotta move.

There are reputedly some excellent annual bottle shows in Memphis & Grey. I don't know if the Middle Tennessee Club is still active, but you might try:

Middle Tennessee Bottle & Collector's Club
1750 Keyes Road
Greenbrier, TN 37073 US
Phone: (615) 643-0290

There's a different address in Michael Polak's book.

Good luck.

Logo-Memphis.jpg

STILL have not gotten back over there yet Surf and it's frustrating me to no end.Life just gets in the way sometimes.Thank you for the link about The MTBCC,I will look them up but Memphis is pretty far away from Nashville.Still Ms.Pennington might be able to direct me to a club or people here who share the same interest.Harry Pristis,thank you for the info as well.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the bottle shows Harry

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh, got all excited then realized you mean empty bottles!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
pretty far away from Nashville.Still Ms.Pennington might be able to direct me to a club or people here who share the same interest.

Hey Coily,

Greenbrier is but a 28 minute hop & a skip from Nashville.

Life has loused up my digging too, but you are gonna miss the goodies, unless you get yourself & your shovels & scratchers to ye olde dirt pile.

Those shards, were I to find them on the surface, would'a inspired some intense scrutiny of the surrounding ground, a modicum of clod kicking, and a pell-mell journey home to pick up tools & return, post haste.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Coily,

Greenbrier is but a 28 minute hop & a skip from Nashville.

Life has loused up my digging too, but you are gonna miss the goodies, unless you get yourself & your shovels & scratchers to ye olde dirt pile.

Those shards, were I to find them on the surface, would'a inspired some intense scrutiny of the surrounding ground, a modicum of clod kicking, and a pell-mell journey home to pick up tools & return, post haste.

You're not making this any easier Surf ya tease! Very nice cup.Jay-Gee pour me something tall and cool in a Red Solo cup.I know one day I will find some old pretty bottles,I just know I will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread