Bottle Digging

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
I always watched on todays finds and everywhere else about people bottle digging. I always wondered how in the world do you find a bottle pit? Well i was at a home site of my boss' and he took me to a spot in his yard where a lot of broken glass is and i was like cool! so i started detecting and dug up a small bottle that had the cap on it still (thats how the metal detector found it.) I was curious if bottles are collectible i found 6 that day all about 1.5 ft down within a 2ft area. None broken they all looked like medicine bottles. Also how do you tell how old they are? The only markings on them is the patent number I believe on the bottom.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value depends entirely on the bottle. Age, type, color, manufacturing method, markings, all play a role, and of course condition. Post pics on the bottle forum here, and get opinions from some of the experts. They can probably point you to books or websites that will help you get a sense of what you're looking for, and looking at.

OP
OP
dallgire

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
NOLA_Ken said:
Value depends entirely on the bottle. Age, type, color, manufacturing method, markings, all play a role, and of course condition. Post pics on the bottle forum here, and get opinions from some of the experts. They can probably point you to books or websites that will help you get a sense of what you're looking for, and looking at.

Great thanks! Will do when i get home!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread