Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At one of the old farm sites I'm surveying for the local history society, I found a bottle cache on some shelves in the basement stairwell. The home, as I've previously mentioned, is a 18th century log cabin/colonial stone & mortar home on an old dairy farm that may have seen use up to about 5 years ago. I say again, for those who didn't get it on my first post about finds at this site: This site was BUILT in the 1700s. It has been USED up to about 5 years ago.

Anywho, there was quite a collection of jars: 7 quart Ball jars, 3 pint Ball jars, 4 pint Kerr jars, one Atlas mason jar, a drinking glass I've never seen the likes of before, a Tropicana bottle, three Dutch Honey jars, some sort of large jug, two glass gallon jugs (filled with some kind of oil - I didn't bring those home), a medium-sized jug with "anchor glass" along the base and an H over an anchor on the bottom, and some sort of whiskey shooter (I think):

jar cache.jpg

All of the mason jars are pre-1960 except 2, which could be as new as 1975. Tropicana has been producing OJ since 1957, but it's unclear when the company switched from glass to plastic. Atlas ceased to exist in 1964. Kerr was founded in 1903 but there isn't any indication when it was absorbed by the Ball Corporation's marketing division, Jarden. There were 2 I didn't know what to think of:

large jug.jpg whiskey shooter.jpg

I also happened to find what I believe is a side mirror for an old car. No idea what type of car, so here's the pics:

side mirror.jpg side mirror 2.jpg side mirror 3.jpg

And a book on interior decorating lol... the title is Estimates, Costs & Profits: House Painting & Interior Decorating by F.N. Vanderwalker. It appears to be a second printing of a first edition, copyrighted 1916 initially and again in 1917.

book.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread