Bottle ID help

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3D279819-C52D-4483-9EE4-A63AAFF84390.jpegNeed help with bottle ID. ThanksB1FEF44E-B524-40E7-AFFD-91E42C73C467.jpegAED3B4EC-0790-4453-8B02-6F28DB9294A7.jpeg7B0A83EE-AE44-4EF5-BCFB-A5B349C9DC0E.jpegD1541738-2078-44AF-AADC-3BB75FC29A36.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a cool flask, probably from the 1880s. I am not sure about the S mark.

Thanks for the fast response. I did some research on the “S”. This is what I found.......
Lyndeboro Glass Co. New Hampshire. 1866-1888 The ”s” is seen on the bottom of some hand blown “strapside” liquor flasks usually in amber........
Sounds like it to me. I was wondering what the stripes down the side were called. Learned something new! Thanks again.

Very nice example, with good character to the glass. What's the story on how you came across it? We love a good story around here.

We were exploring near Ponce Inlet in our skiff, found a old post several feet off a small island in the backwater in about 2’ of water. I suspected it might be part of an old dock. We started scanning the area with the MD got a hit, second shovel we hit it, thought it was a rock at first, so it was under about a foot of packed bottom sand/shells. The metal hit turned out to be some sort of spring loaded safety valve possibly off a small steam engine. Also found a very corroded gun barrel 21” long, ID of the barrel is 1/2” just laying on the bottom about 3’ from shore! Looked like a stick then I saw part of the rear sight. When I picked it up it broke into 3 pieces. Wonder how a flask from N.H. wound up on a island in Florida?

Congrats on a nice flask !. Bottles like coins travelled all over the world , whether on the tides, trains ,Wagon,etc,etc.

Called a strap side flask. That is what those side details are called. I think I have one just like this one.

Sounds like it to me. I was wondering what the stripes down the side were called. Learned something new! Thanks again.
Those are called "strap sides", meant to give the glass stronger sides compared to seam side flasks which proceeded them...

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if they had a purpose or just decorative. Paterson! One of my best friends grew up in Paterson, back in the late 50’s, he told me some wild stories about that place.

Great I'd that looks about as old as you could get. Freakin cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back