diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Milk bottle-round 12 oz bottle is embossed Maple Grove Dairy Jamestown, N. Y. in the slugplate. Back is embossed Ace Of Drinks, 2 - For - 1, 5 cents 12 ounces 5 cents. Also has eight stippled rings embossed around the bottle. Bottle is in excellent condition and stands 7 1/4 inches tall. Found one on ebay-http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-Maple-G...temQQimsxZ20091116?IMSfp=TL091116199010r12783

Second bottle is a liquor decanter I believe.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Second bottle is most likely a smelling salts bottle. See if there are any whiteish crystals (salts) still inside. Sometimes, especially if bottle has been sealed up for years, there is still a nose stinging ammonia odor. Smelling salts, as you may already know, were popular and used to revive someone who fainted. Especially women who used to wear corsets that would restrict the breathing and cause fainting. Corsets were also one of the reasons for what used to be called "fainting couches." Stuffy rooms filled with pipe and cigar smoke didn't help matters either.

Top looks like a decanter stopper, but bottle itself looks too small for liquor. ???
However, and I hate to contradict myself, but it looks a little big for a smelling salts bottle also. ???

If interested in further research, please post bottle measurements. But if odorous crystals are present, it's definitely a smelling salts bottle.

SodaBob

OP
OP
F

frogwizard

Sorry to take so long to respond. I had to get sizes from my daughter. The second bottle without stopper is about 6 1/2 inches. It smells like dirt. She didn't see any white stuff. Just dirt. Thank you to all.

Bottle #1 you nailed it exactly Diggummup. Thank you!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 1/2 inches is a small decanter but I still think it is a whiskey decanter based on the shape of it. Small for a whiskey decanter but not unheard of.

OP
OP
F

frogwizard

Thank you all so much for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions