Bought a few Morgans on an impulse buy.. how'd I do?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll preface with I don't normally buy coins more than a few dollars over spot.. keep a me out of trouble :laughing7:.

That being said I came across a few Morgans up for sale on eBay and took what I believe was a good chance at them being deals. I will say that the best test to see if something is a good deal or not on ebay is to stop and think about it for a second. Then try to buy it. If it already sold, it was a good deal. Needless to say I've developed a hair trigger.

So here's the first one. Short and sweet I paid about $229 shipped and I THINK it's a hundred or two under the value at that grade? Seems the ungraded go for the price I paid. Does that seem accurate? Or does anyone know more exact figures/ranges.

Screenshot_20200614-013534_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200614-013507_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200614-013524_eBay.jpg

The second one I bought is raw and really all I went off of was the fact it was a CC above AG... and yes that is the extent of my coin grading expertise, lol. I appreciate any knowledge shared.

Screenshot_20200613-212242_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200613-212259_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC ones a rare and collectible not sure on value but If your happy with em then you did good.....Tommy

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look great to me. I would be happy with them.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC ones a rare and collectible not sure on value but If your happy with em then you did good.....Tommy

I am, and these would be to keep either way not to flip.. but still. A reality check if I overpaid would slow down my impulse buying :laughing7:

Still curious what someone would grade the raw coin or what they think a conservative value would be?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest getting a red book coin book which gives you all the information you need on coin values and errors ect especially if you want to start a collection ......Tommy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am, and these would be to keep either way not to flip.. but still. A reality check if I overpaid would slow down my impulse buying :laughing7:

Still curious what someone would grade the raw coin or what they think a conservative value would be?

IMO, the 1890CC would grade VF and be worth about $150.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When did you buy the MS65 1884cc dollar off Ebay?

Month or two ago. Think the asking price has been fluctuating? I'm sure coin prices probably dropped with silver etc in March. Do you think I was able to get it under value?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark that's fantastic if that's the ballpark. I never got into messing with morgans much because A. They are so damn inflated over spot and B. I generally only like a sharp looking coin if I'm going to buy one.. good to know I can at least get a deal here and there.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Month or two ago. Think the asking price has been fluctuating? I'm sure coin prices probably dropped with silver etc in March. Do you think I was able to get it under value?

The CC Morgans in OGP don't fluctuate with silver price. There might be some fluctuation in price but that is only influenced by demand. As someone said earlier, if you are happy, then that is all that matters.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CC Morgans in OGP don't fluctuate with silver price. There might be some fluctuation in price but that is only influenced by demand. As someone said earlier, if you are happy, then that is all that matters.

Yeah I figured it was detached from silver prices, but thought coins and collectibles would have dipped also with everything else (stocks, PMS, etc) in March. But yeah, I'm happy with them. I'm just thrifty and can't stand overpaying or even paying going rate.:skullflag: Morgans are unknown territory for me and there seem to be countless varieties and huge ranges of prices. I'm glad to call a few CCs my own now though! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't check the 1890-CC but the 1884-CC in MS-65 seems to be selling for $350-$450 based on closed auctions I looked at so I think you did very well on that one....nice job!:icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

That is great! Yeah what confused me is ungraded morgans of the same exact type all sell around $220-250ish. I figured all uncirculated GSA hoard morgans would grade about the same? But I guess ms65 is on higher end if its demanding a higher price. Pretty psyched about it being that good of a deal though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions