Bought an Ace 250, new to metal detecting, any "must know" info?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bought an Ace 250, new to metal detecting, any "must know" info?

Find the magazine Western & Eastern Treasures and subscribe to it. Order the book Successful Coin Hunting by Charles Garrett

There are many more books you need to read too.

T

The.Boomer

Go to the Garret board here under Brands and read up on the 250, it is a great feature packed starter machine.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250

Read the book a couple of times and then find a school or sports field where there are lots of coins and practice, practice practice. It takes about a hundred hours of detecting to fully understand a machine.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just have fun and don't get discouraged it takes time and its all about FUN

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dex378
I've seen your posts. I know you have been to these forums. I don't remember if you've posted any other detectors in your arsenal. I own a 250 and this is some advice I will give. It is a good and sensitive machine. I have found 14 wheats and 3 silver dimes with the 250 in a very trashy lot. I have since found another Rosie with another machine at "the lot" (see post). It will sound off (bong, bong) on some trash but if the i.d. cursor moves, don't dig. If you get the coin "bong" AND the cursor stays put, dig the coin. Also, it is my technique to step around and verify the signal by crossing the coil 90 degrees from the first signal. At 4 or 5 inches, the bongs will be constant and loud to the point of irritation when over a coin. I have only used the smaller coil (8/9 inch) but will start using the larger one that came with the machine when I am more comfortable with the detector. I hope this helps. Now go get 'em! TTC

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

Study the manual, don't just skim it
Read books and magazines on metal detecting and treasure hunting
At first dig everything
Later on you can notch out iron
I dig 90% of everything above iron, 100% when I'm fresh
Try Level 6 on sensitivity for normal use, but experiment with 7 and 8
Try Levels 3-4 in trashy areas
Learn to use the pinpointer, it's not perfect but works pretty well
Try easy areas at first-your yard, playgrounds, beaches etc
Good luck

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300

There is a video on youtube about how to pinpoint with it. It is a very helpful video for a new ace user. Search Pinpointing with Ace 250. It should come up.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Read up in the Garrett section of this forums and find articles written by some of the people here (Including myself) who own and have posted about this machine. It's a good one by the way. You'll like it.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005

Read all you want but you will never find anything or learn your detector untill your out swinging that 250. Save the books for a rainy day or the dead of winter. Use the modes to what your looking for and keep the sensitivity low 3 or 4 bars to start with.

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250

In my soil, I could never run over 5 on sensitivity and 4 is my normal setting for around here. I still found tons of stuff, some of it quite deep. It is very sensitive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread