Bought Ladies with Clad

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Aren't they cute? Cashed in my clad today from the last few weeks and bought a couple of cool coins for my collection...I haven't been able to post much of what I actually find because most of you have a pocket full of it already. Looking forward to taking the GB2 and MXT to the desert for some nuggets. I will definitely post those! Never did get to dredge this year....

Attachments

• Morgan Merc Front.jpg
    Morgan Merc Front.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 524
  • Morgan Merc Back.jpg
    Morgan Merc Back.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0
OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
You are correct...but before handing over any of my hard won clad, I did verify that she was actually Liberty with wings crowning her cap to symbolize liberty of thought...it was on her drivers license...I was more interested in the older one, Morgan, anyway! ;D

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Morgans are cool. I found a 1921 Morgan looking though my mom's jewelry box last night. It was given to my ggparents, then my grandparents, then my parents, all on their respective silver anniversaries. They're a lot bigger and heavier than I would have figured.

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
They are nice...Thanks for looking.

p.s. nice cat...has a better chance than me of making it out of a bean bag chair!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snee said:
One quick note...Mercury was the SON of Zeus.? ;)

All the same, very nice :D

I want to clarify that the person on the mercury dime is NOT the Greek god mercury, it is actually a depiction of winged liberty.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I looked it up, and I still don't really get it. It's supposed to be lady liberty wearing a winged hat to symbolize freedom of thought. But because it looks like the god mercury, it has come upon that name. Merucy was the god of (several things in addition to) commerce. The back has a fasces (axe) surrounded by a bundle of rods, which was a symbol of roman power.
It's just my opinion, but the winged liberty thing seems like it's just the official status. All else points toward the god Merucry. Again, just my opinion.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey snee, I googled for you again.
Despite the name given to this coin, the coin does not in fact depict Mercury, the legendary messenger of the gods in Roman mythology. The portrait on the face side of the coin is actually that of Liberty wearing a winged cap symbolizing freedom of thought. However, because of the resemblance of this portrait to Mercury, the coin has always been popularly referred to as a Mercury dime.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Well yeah, that's like what I said. I know it's a winged liberty. But it's just that it looks like him, he's the god of commerce, and the back has a roman axe surrounded by rods which is a symbol of power. I don't know. I'm not trying to lay down conspiracy theories here, but it has to be more than a coincidence. Just my opinion... :)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a good thing to do with clad you find. I used to buy as much bullion silver as I could at the end of each year with my clad coins. I later decided to buy high grade silver dollars.
With all due respect, I have to say that the dime is significantly overgraded. I hope you didn't have to pay retail for that coin in XF condition. If you did, you may want to consider finding another dealer. Please understand I am not down playing the coin. Its a nice coin. I just don't want to see a dealer taking advantage of someone.

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Paid $5. Coin should probably be grade Fine or less...Oh well...It was out of the box and I was in a hurry! Not a good combination I know...

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Five bucks isn't so bad. Both are really nice looking coins. I think what you are doing is good because the coins will always appreciate in value. I used to just spend them, then I realized how hard I had to work to get them, but now I don't have any thing to show for it.
Keep posting what you buy. I never get sick of looking at old coins.

HH!

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Kind of weird, it seems, that the whole time we were fighting "fascism" in WW2, we had their symbol, a fasces, on our coinage...
oh well, at least we didn't have a swastika!

Good for you...Mercs are very cool!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread