Bought Teller Out of Rolls: Initial Report

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I mentioned in another thread that I happened upon a teller whose last day it was, and bought out his entire stock of rolls plus a box each of dimes and nickels. Only the boxes remain as of late tonight.

2 Rosies, 1964 and 1962 - 1 each

Oldest nickel was a 1939, plus several that were pre-1960.

1 1-Krone Norwegian coin

1 religious medal (can't for the life of me make out the very fine print on it)

Several Canadian nickels, including one 60's era

A few Canadian cents

1 wheat cent

Hoping the boxes produce more but I'm having fun with each 'Easter egg' I find.

The total tally was about $1,742 FV for his rolls and boxes.

Rascal

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to add that one nickel roll contained 3 dimes. ;D

Rascal

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What year is the Norwegian krona? Also, can you post a pic of the medal?

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
The Krone is a 2006 and in excellent condition.

As far as the medal, alas, no pic available. Our camera and Tom Tom unit were stolen out of the car recently and we haven't replaced either one. Would love to post a pic of the medallion in the hopes someone out there might recognize it.

Rascal

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. why dont you tell us what is on the medal then maybe we could search for it.

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, this is going to be fun. ??? The medallion is the exact diameter of a nickel and slightly but barely thinner. Looks to be stamped steel rather than silver, no markings indicating otherwise; old glue on the back that seems to indicate it was adhered to something.

Tall standing figure in front of what appears to be a high-back throne, head surrounded by a radiant halo. Figure appears to be beared, and holding a book in the left hand, and the right hand is raised as if preaching or speaking.

The inscription circles the border, reading from left to right EIVS IN OBITVNRO PRA SENTIA MVNTAMVR.

St. Christopher it isn't, also thought of Francis of Assisi because there appears (small, not clear) to be a dove sitting at the left-hand edge of the throne arm and what may be a petaled flower on the right-hand edge throne arm. There is very fine - unreadable with a 2 or 2.5x magnifier - script to either side of the throne uprights.

Thoughts or guesses welcome.

Rascal

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
I googled benedictine medal and the words you listed on google images and found several pics that looked to be your medal

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Silvereyes, you nailed it! I did the same per your suggestion and found this:

benedict_small.JPG

Mine is the obverse only, no reverse or attachment ring.

Cool find all the same.

Rascal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in latin it says on the rear roughly translated --" never let the "dragon ( draco = devil *) be my guide --the cup thou offers me is poison, so drink it theyself * -- it was said that a group of monks knowing that st benedict was a very holy man --came to his cave to ask him to be the abbot (leader) of their monastary as their old abbot had died --another monk at the monastary was hoping that he would be chosen to be abbot and in a fit of rage poisoned the bread and wine that he brought to st benedict --as it was placed before st benedict --a raven flew in grabbing up the bread and flew off with it and the cup with the poisoned wine suddenly burst apart -- seeing the devils hand behind the evil plot to kill him -- he said those words .-- thats why the bird and cup are on the st benedict medal * --it is thought of a one of the most "powerful" medals in the catholic faith -- and is used in in leiu of a piece of the "true cross" if one is not availible in the rite of casting out demons by catholic preist -- st benedict was very well known for the casting out of demons .

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Ivan, thank you very much for the history. :thumbsup:

Always nice to know the reason for a design such as that, and it makes the find all the more special. It's like finding an Easter egg.

Rascal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread