Bounty hunter 4" coil good for the beach?

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4" coil will certainly work, but, in wide open, low trash ares, you are probably better with a larger coil. The smaller coils work great in heavily trashed areas where you need better separation of targets. In large, open, areas with less trash, a larger coil will give better coverage and more depth.

If both your coils are standard Bounty Hunter coils, they are most likely concentric as opposed to DD. It is recommended that you do a 50% overlap per sweep with concentric coils, for proper coverage. With a 4" coil that would give you an effective coverage of 2" per sweep. Hope this helps.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Use the 4" coil if you have fire pits on your beach as those are super trashy. Also, around lifeguard towers and where people shower off. You may be able to get closer than other detectorists with bigger coils.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't had any experience with a concentric 4" coil on the beach, but I luved using a 5" dd coil on it. I agree with LootHunter on the aluminum camp fire ingots all over some beaches, and for some reason I found hot rocks a problem on the beaches up near Seattle. I will say I have ordered a 4" and a 11' DD coil for of all things my old Tracker IV for use on some special trips planned for this coming Spring.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BH made the 4-inch coil with gold nuggets in mind, originally, but, I have used them successfully in areas with tons of pull tabs. There is a beach volleyball court near me that is full of pull tabs, still, and those things have not been used in decades.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions