Dec 9, 2012
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(This is a brand new detector) I bought the 8" coil cover for the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. When I assembled the unit, I noticed the bottom of the coil was pretty much bare metal. My question is before installing the new coil cover would it be a good idea to put some oil or water resistant grease on the coil?
Would it protect the coil itself from rusting, pitting and extend the life of the coil? Or is this not a good thing to do?.....Thanks! ???

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWING-N-DIG NY said:
(This is a brand new detector) I bought the 8" coil cover for the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. When I assembled the unit, I noticed the bottom of the coil was pretty much bare metal. My question is before installing the new coil cover would it be a good idea to put some oil or water resistant grease on the coil?
Would it protect the coil itself from rusting, pitting and extend the life of the coil? Or is this not a good thing to do?.....Thanks! ???

Call first Texas Don't think it should be bare metal

OP
OP
SWING-N-DIG NY

SWING-N-DIG NY

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2012
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG, man what a dump dump I am!:BangHead:

I took off the new coil cover that I installed, to look at the coil again. What I was looking at, I thought it was bare metal, it was intern a completely factory coated (sealed) coil. When I first looked at it real quick while putting the cover on I thought it looked like black cast iron in a very dim lite room. I can't believe I did that, getting old I guess.
So sorry for the confusion on this.

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks seal their covers on with black silicone...Just squeeze it into the cover, then put it on and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth...No dirt or water is gonna get in there...You want enough in the cover so that it oozes out around the top.

Happy Hunting,

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoGoGopher said:
Some folks seal their covers on with black silicone...Just squeeze it into the cover, then put it on and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth...No dirt or water is gonna get in there...You want enough in the cover so that it oozes out around the top.

Happy Hunting,

How's that work with the warranty ? If you have to send it in for service

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions