Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

DirtHead

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I just registered. I'm new to the metal detecting hobby and I've been doing some research on how to find good metal detecting sites and what not, but I'm not sure if I'm using my metal detector correctly. I decided to purchase the entry-level BH Tracker IV as my first metal detector because I am short on funds and also because I wasn't sure if this would be a hobby that I would actually stick with. I realize that this is a cheap MD so it's not going to pick up everything, but I'm wondering if you guys that have used the Tracker IV can give me some tips to help me out. My best find so far has been a silver spoon from the 1900's. Mostly I just find garbage and clad coins. Does anyone who has used the Tracker IV have any tips on settings that I can use to find more goodies and less junk?

Right now I usually set the sensitivity to about 4/5 and the discrimination to 3/4 on tone mode. I find mostly clad coins. I've only found two wheat pennies (1954 & 1915). I don't even bother with low tones because I just assume they are pull-tabs. Even though they could possibly be a gold ring.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, I started with that same machine, its a good move because if for some reason you decide you don't like the hobby, the sting isn't so bad. However after only 2 months recovering clad and some basic finds like you've said I had to upgrade, I then bought a ace 350 for just over three hundred bucks and haven't looked back yet, since then I bought an atpro for 550, and am currently working on getting my etrac in 2 weeks!, if you end up loving the hobby, which I suspect you may, you get sucked in real quick lol!!!

as for settings on the bounty hunter, I don't have much to offer besides what was in the manual. I honestly forgot how to adjust them. I don't know if any of that helped but good luck out there!!!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome DirtHead to TNet. I have a Tracker 4 for backup and it is a good machine and you will find a lot with it. It is a great pinpointing machine and very well balanced, it just doesn't have the depth. Try using it in all metal (deepest setting) with the sensitivity as high as the area will allow, the disc as low as you can. When you get a tone you like but your not sure if it's good switch it from all metal to disc mode to test the tone. That will save a lot of digging trash. Happy Hunting

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey DirtHead, and welcome! I started on the same unit, its paid for itself 5 times over with the clad change I have found. I went so far as to buy a NEL Hunter Coil for it. That machine will give you 4-6 inches and will self adjust to the ground settings. I still use mine on occasion around the Great Salt Lake here in Utah. Its funny how that machine will work out there and my AT Pro, F70 and others have a struggle at times. The added coil does make a difference and does add close to 2-3 inches more depth. The DD coil gives it a faster response. The settings you mention are good to use to learn the machine, and take the time to learn the machine. Don't get in a big hurry to upgrade, learn to use what you have. Its a great machine. Stay Gold!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rule of thumb on any machine is to spend 100 hours of actual field use before considering an upgrade. With an entry level machine, it theoretically should pay for itself in that 100 hours. Cheers!!

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjohn455,
Strangely, my first detector was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and my next one is the Ace 350. I got the BH about 10 years ago and put a battery in it and took off. I put about 10 hours total on it on about 3 casual hunts and then put it away for several years until I got the itch and decided to get the 350 a couple of months ago. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment but am starting to think about the AT Pro now. My question to you and any other digger out there is....Is it worth the money for the upgrade. I mean, is the AT Pro really that much better than the 350? I know about the water proof deal with the AT Pro and all and that it would probably perform better in the wet sand at the beach, but aside from that how do they stack up? Thanks in advance.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjohn455,
Strangely, my first detector was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and my next one is the Ace 350. I got the BH about 10 years ago and put a battery in it and took off. I put about 10 hours total on it on about 3 casual hunts and then put it away for several years until I got the itch and decided to get the 350 a couple of months ago. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment but am starting to think about the AT Pro now. My question to you and any other digger out there is....Is it worth the money for the upgrade. I mean, is the AT Pro really that much better than the 350? I know about the water proof deal with the AT Pro and all and that it would probably perform better in the wet sand at the beach, but aside from that how do they stack up? Thanks in advance.

hmm, this is actually a tough question, yes the atpro is $200+ more expensive but I really enjoy my atpro and feel it was a good upgrade. First I feel I am hitting deeper targets with it, it is a wheat magnet, ive dug wheats at 8+ inches easily, heck I even snagged an 1889 seated dime at about 10 inches, in nice sandy soil. I like the options the atpro has, I like the ground balancing, manual modes, pro modes, etc. the annoying belltone from the ace 350 is something I don't miss lol.
I used my 350 for 5 months, and my atpro for a year and a half, the "learning curve" between the 350 and atpro is almost non existent, very similar operations between the two of them, as far as beaches are concerned, I am not a good judge of that, I stay away from beaches, not enough to excite me lol

hope this helps, good luck!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DirtHead, one thing to always remember: Use the detector a lot. Try different settings to see what is best for your area. The more you use it, the more you'll find with it. If you don't get to know your detector, you'll always be upgrading to another one over and over.
In 1980, I bought a BH 840. I used it and used it. I was finding a lot of silver back then; mostly in elementary school yards. When I started using headphones, I began to find dimes at about 6 inches. I found two, a 1921 and a 1927, dimes at a depth of at least 7 inches. They were both in the same hole. Always go back over the hole to make sure you found everything that's is in it.
I have a BH Tracker IV, also and Lone Start. They are all great detectors. It's just a matter of using them and getting to know the sounds and settings for you area.

OP
OP
D

DirtHead

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm planning on hitting the oldest park in my city today to see if I can't find anything. Wish me luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread