Bounty hunter

Vizzio

Jun 11, 2012
Missoula, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2 w/ 11" DD Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I'd say save up for a pro pointer from Garrett. It's the only one I've found that is strong enough not to break every 3 months or so. Just my 2 cents :)

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i made my decision on the garrett propointer based on customer reviews. i bought it from kellyco and it works great. i suggest you look at their customer reviews. good luck.

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
harbor freight has one for under $20 sum good reviews but with all things im sure there are bad ones to, but for $20 if it only 6 months you havnet really lost anything. i am ordering one tomorrow i will let you know how it works when i get it

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Frieght Pinpointer

harbor freight has one for under $20 sum good reviews but with all things im sure there are bad ones to, but for $20 if it only 6 months you havnet really lost anything. i am ordering one tomorrow i will let you know how it works when i get it

Had one 2 years now. Had to wire the button up finally. Still working.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with the Bounty Hunter pinpointer and now have the Garett ProPointer.
The difference is night and day.
When the BH pinpointer was my first and only pinpointer I thought it did a good job.
Now that I have listened to the majority of the forum members and purchased a Garrett propointer. I can say that they were right. I can also say the BH pinpointer is far inferior to the Garrett ProPointer.

The BH can detect a coin up to about an inch away then beeps and vibrates.
When you dig a hole you have to scan and poke the plug and dirt pile and the inside of the hole and hope you pretty much thouch the object you are looking for or the BH pinpointer won't go off. If it doesn't go off on the first pass you might have to dig deeper and wider then poke around the dirt pile and hole again. Then if you still don't find the object you may have to run your coil over the hole again to see where the object is and then start the whole process over again.

The Garrett Propointer can detect a coin up to about 3 inches away and beeps and vibrates but as you get closer to the target it starts beeping and vibrating faster. When the beeping and vibrating is steady and constant you are right on top of the target. This cuts digging time in 1/2 if not even less than that.
With the Garrett ProPointer, you dig a plug, do a quick sweep with the propointer around the plug. If it doesn't go off then the object is still in the hole and it usually pinpoints right to it because it can go another 3" in the ground around the inside of the hole.. There is also a way of supertuning the garrett for around a 6" depth and there are techniques for better pinpoint the coin before you dig ect. Look it up on Youtube there are tons of side by side comparison videos and video tips on supertuning techniques.

If money is a problem right now buy a pinpointer from Harbour Freight for $15. Then you will have about $30 saved for the ProPointer that you would have spent on the BH pinpointer. Save up, then call Bart from Big Boys Hobbies or one of the other sponsors on the forum tell them you are from the forum and they will give you a better deal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread