Bowie knife or machete

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any knife Experts I pick this up the other day at a sale no markings on the blade but unsure if anyone can identify a maker by the style of it and maybe a year range thank you any help would be greatly appreciate it?s 20 1/2? long
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
H.L. Hager? I keep leaning and trying to read it.
Have you found that name as a knifemaker anywhere?

It is not the same as a "buffalo" trade , or "eye" knife. But shares a similar profile. And they were / are large knives.
Between imports and domestic builders , it can take time to ferret out a maker.

I'm not doin well with search engines and don't trust memory of historic descriptions.
The "Eye" knives had rivets set with brass /metal washers below them giving the "eyes" appearance.
But were heavy knives described by one writer (I'm not quoting) as like a cleaver reduced . Used for tasks from breaking down a buffalo to skinning (in skilled hands) small game ., to cutting limbs in bush.
So it was knife /cleaver /machete.
In the which one knife will do all , the particular and often changed to suit user Hudson Bay trade knife suited many.

I'm not sure Hudson Bay originated the style. Not saying the company did not either.

Here's an example. But , examples vary by builder and manufacturer based on customer demands over time.
And different schools of builders add thier own geographical or personal preference of twists.

H1162-L11282233.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know little about that style of knife other than a lot of the Mountain Man styles were like that.As relevantchair said,I,ve seen knives like that presented as Hudson Bay knives.Regardless,it,s well made and has a useful shape.I,d put it to work in the kitchen or the skinning rack.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input I did not have any luck with the name on the handle but still doing some research if I find anything I will let you know thank you again
Any good way to possibly clean this up or just leave it the way it is

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the input I did not have any luck with the name on the handle but still doing some research if I find anything I will let you know thank you again
Any good way to possibly clean this up or just leave it the way it is

Not knowing it's origin yet , I'd be reluctant to clean it.
Removing the patina of an old object can devalue it.

I would oil the blade. Minding not to saturate the handle. That would slow or halt the rust and corrosion by keeping air off it. Extended time oiled will soften or help flake the rust should a better cleaning be warranted down the road.

Oil and fine steel wool can be used to clean less valued blades , like a formerly common carbon kitchen knife.
Flaws in the steel of older ones where a piece of higher carbon are just characteristics. Pitting often shows too.
Acids stain them. Not cleaning after use has discolored many. Soaking in dishwater has cracked many handles.
So has rust under handle scales.
I use hot water. Shake what I can out before drying. Hot water heats the steel and speeds up drying time.
Vegetable oil or olive oil can oil the blade and very lightly the handle if dry or going to be stored. Better oils exist , but any is better than none.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread