Box Drains... What shape?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed while looking at some old docs

scfs-1024x847.jpg

It can be seen that Dunfeild has drawn the box drains as "V" shaped with the pointy bit of the V at the bottom not top.

Given that Dunfeild actually found the drains in his digs why do the Laginas still believe the pile of three rocks they found were the original drains.

Once again do they do no research or do they just choose not to tell us if what they find does not fit with the narrative they wish to spin..

The more ones looks the more a person finds the Lagians lying about what the history of OI actually shows....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have to talk about what they actually find. Sure they could mention what has been found in the past if they wanted too of course..and at times do.. It kills me how we have you saying the box drains were there, and while others say they were never there. Regardless of what they were there for they were there.. some think to dry out ocean water for the salt.. but the boiling down method would be much more efficient..

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kills me how we have you saying the box drains were there, and while others say they were never there.
I have not seen anyone say the box drains were not there.. There are multiple first hand accounts of the finding of the box drains.. Dunfeild documented his finding of the drains.. Who said they were not there? n2mini I think you mix up what has been found in Smiths Cove with what is guessed about the moneypit... Something happened in Smiths Cove pre the finding of it 1795 the discussion has always just been what it is that happened.

Do not confuse historic documented evidence with unsupported theories...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's plenty of folks on here that claim the box drains weren't there. Been talked about a ton in other threads over the past 6 years on here....right or wrong that is what they think... I think they were there as has been documented like you say, and for others it's just a matter of what they were actually used for. Water trap to MP, or salt mining, etc....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's plenty of folks on here that claim the box drains weren't there. Been talked about a ton in other threads over the past 6 years on here....right or wrong that is what they think... I think they were there as has been documented like you say, and for others it's just a matter of what they were actually used for. Water trap to MP, or salt mining, etc....
I have seen people say the flood tunnels never existed (I am one of those) but I do not remember anyone claiming the box drains never existed.

But the point is that Dunfeilds drawing is of a V shaped drain (which makes sense) not a upright triangle like the one shown by Laginas. They must of seen the drawings. What they found could not of been part of the drains.

Last edited:

dmg2016

Feb 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen people say the flood tunnels never existed (I am one of those) but I do not remember anyone claiming the box drains never existed.

I am curious about this statement. Do you accept that the drains are connected to some sort of man-made tunnel with the tunnel’s intended purpose being other than flooding the money pit?

But the point is that Dunfeilds drawing is of a V shaped drain (which makes sense) not a upright triangle like the one shown by Laginas. They must of seen the drawings. What they found could not of been part of the drains.

I believe the depiction of the drains by show matches the description of the drains as reported in the 1864 issue of the Colonist. The drains also match the description provided in The Oak Island Mystery by RV Harris and many other later published books. In my mind, the inverted V shape would make more sense, if the purpose of the drains were to direct seawater into some sort of tunnel system (not necessarily a flood tunnel purpose). From what I gather, the Laginas have substantially more information about the work on the island over the years than what the show lets on.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious about this statement. Do you accept that the drains are connected to some sort of man-made tunnel with the tunnel’s intended purpose being other than flooding the money pit?

MY View (as I wrote in this thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...eory-naval-stores-j-steele-5.html#post5282445) is based on Joys theory. (Pure speculation)

I believe that some type of significant operation was being conducted on OI and Smiths cove (This must of been the case to justify the dam and the beach)

This activity was probably related to naval stores/fishing/lumber/shipping or a combination of some of those.

I believe like Joy the inside of the coffer dam/sea wall dyke was kept dry. The wall was built to keep the water out. The inside supported some type of ship loading/unloading activity. Boats pulled up the other side of the sea wall. It performed a similar function to the pier showed in those earlier aerial photographs. Ie the water was too shallow for the boats to get closer than the wall. The U-shaped structure is what is left of what was built inside the dam. Maybe the foundations of a crane for helping load/unload a ship. Maybe a building for storage/processing of something.

The drains were needed because the inside of the dam was lower than the outside at anything above lowest tides. Therefore they needed to be able to drain water from the dry inside of the dam. Heavy rain/seepage/part of the processing used water etc. The drains therefore drained this water back into the sump on land as it could not be drained into the sea at higher tides. The sump was needed to store the water why it drained into the ground or was used up by the workers. The sump may also had the function of providing a source of convenient water for those working on the land. Ie if there were tar kilns then these often caught fire. Maybe the workers used the sump/tank as a source of water to put out the fires.

I think the drains have no direct relationship with the beach. The beach was built on top of the drainage system to provide a good source of drying something. Probably fish or other sea food.

Below is an old picture of fisherman using a beach to dry fish in Nova Scotia.

fish-drying.jpg

https://novascotia.ca/archives/dennis/results.asp?Language=English&Start=1576&wbdisable=true

I believe the depiction of the drains by show matches the description of the drains as reported in the 1864 issue of the Colonist. The drains also match the description provided in The Oak Island Mystery by RV Harris and many other later published books. In my mind, the inverted V shape would make more sense, if the purpose of the drains were to direct seawater into some sort of tunnel system (not necessarily a flood tunnel purpose). From what I gather, the Laginas have substantially more information about the work on the island over the years than what the show lets on.
Other then the article quoted by the laginas I have never seen any other source of the claim the box drains were an upright triangle. Really also making drains that were an upright triangle makes very little sense.

But why would Dunfeild have drawn them as V shaped if they were the other way round? Dunfeild found them and them and traced them back to the sump. He found no evidence they went to any type of flood tunnel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good article

https://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/floodtunnel.shtml

In 1965, Robert Dunfield, a qualified and experienced geologist, applied modern survey techniques and open-pit mining methods to the island.

He conducted spectrographic tests on the water from the Pit and showed it was coming from the ocean, not from the sea immediately adjacent OI.

When his examination by closed circuit television of his 140-foot shaft failed to show any indication of a flood tunnel, he rode the bucket of an excavator to the bottom to confirm this personally.

His measurements of the inflow of water into the Pit from above 140 feet (only 15 gallons per minute) demonstrated that nearly all the water intake of the Pit was coming from below, not from a flood tunnel above 140 feet.

He conducted dye tests, which failed to disclose a connection to the adjacent sea.

In June 1966 and February 1967, he wrote a number of letters regarding his work on Oak Island and concerning the idea of a flood tunnel stated:

"We resolved the water problem completely beyond a shadow of a doubt. Water enters through a natural course and caves typical to the limestone and gypsum of the Windsor formation."

His final stated position on this matter:

"This deceives the theory of man-made flood tunnels from which water defeated searchers for the past 170 years"

dmg2016

Feb 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY View (as I wrote in this thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...eory-naval-stores-j-steele-5.html#post5282445) is based on Joys theory. (Pure speculation)...I think the drains have no direct relationship with the beach. The beach was built on top of the drainage system to provide a good source of drying something. Probably fish or other sea food.

Thanks for sharing. I am always interested in examining the oak island mystery from a new angle. I will have to add Joy Steele’s book to my reading list. I can also see your point about why a “V” drain makes sense, if the beach was built on top of the drainage system (I assume you mean the drains were exposed when they were in use).

All of the O.I. articles on Critical Enquiry are very well written and researched.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info on post 8 gazzahk! Thanks :occasion14:

I will totally agree on the box drains as a v shape not an n shape.
How do you keep water in a n shape? Doesn't make any sense... well neither do the Lag bros most of the time.

dmg2016

Feb 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Laginas are putting this forward as the drain

cooi-2-1.jpg

Building drains like this seems to make little sense. It would require heaps of flat rocks (5 drains 30-50ft long each). It just makes no sense and was not what Dunfeild found. It is much more 'probable' that this is simply coincidence of how these rocks fell when some previous treasure searcher bulldozed the backfill in.

The real point is that they must know what Dunfeild found and documented. They are simply ignoring that in the effort to claim finds.

This does not appear to fit any description of the box drains except the one they referenced from old newspaper report. I can find no other reference to the drains being this shape. All other references are either "box" shaped (square) or V shaped.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your home gutters are "n" shaped... just upside down per say..

n shaped upside down makes a u. Ya got me on that one! :occasion14:

Under an arch as a n is the key. Your examples are good. For a "flood tunnel" box drains would be better than a n or v. I will agree it could go either way.

The Laginas are putting this forward as the drain

View attachment 1711106

Building drains like this seems to make little sense. It would require heaps of flat rocks (5 drains 30-50ft long each). It just makes no sense and was not what Dunfeild found. It is much more 'probable' that this is simply coincidence of how these rocks fell when some previous treasure searcher bulldozed the backfill in.

The real point is that they must know what Dunfeild found and documented. They are simply ignoring that in the effort to claim finds.

This does not appear to fit any description of the box drains except the one they referenced from old newspaper report. I can find no other reference to the drains being this shape. All other references are either "box" shaped (square) or V shaped.

There is other info out there on previous searchers work about the box drains/flood tunnels that the Lag bros ignore because it doesnt fit the story they are spinning.
Bet it had been dug and blasted at least 5 times so there should be no resemblance of anything anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread