box of 40+ gold coins (alas, a "commissioned" hunt :))

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know "commissioned" aka "tame" finds probably don't qualify for banner votes rules, but here's a fun commissioned hunt story nonetheless:

A fellow had buried gold coins in a city near me (for hiding or safe-keeping or something) about 5 years ago. But when he'd gone back late last year, to dig them up, he couldn't remember exactly where he'd buried them. He had hidden them in a buddy's yard. And the friend of his, over the years, had done landscape work in the general area. So years later, when the two men went to retrieve them, the friend had un-wittingly changed the look and lay of the land. Bushes now in different spots, etc... And fence posts that ....... at the time years ago, seemed a "cinch" to remember by ........ now all of the sudden "every fence post looks the same", doh! ???

After digging a bunch of dry holes, the man went and bought an Ace 250 for $200. He spent several hours digging a variety of junk items from the yard. But alas, no gold coins :( He figured maybe he just wasn't using it right. So he went to the local detector dealer and asked if there were anyone in the area who was more familiar with detectors, who would come look FOR him. The dealer referred him to me. I went out the first time, and discovered the problem: The man who owns the yard, had gone out a few years ago, and put about a hundred shiskabob skewer spike things, in the ground, all over his yard, to hold down some fabric. You know, the type fabric you put down when you're intending to spread tan-bark all over. And these iron pokey skewer "U-shaped" spike things were be-devilling our standard detectors. After an hour of trying to see through them (figuring that the size item he was describing would certainly "over-power" shallow iron), I finally gave up in defeat.

I wondered if a 2-box machine would be fit for this job. NOT so much because of DEPTH needed, but more-so to simply see through all the surface small iron, and STRICTLY only-find larger items.

After many schedule delays, the man and I were finally able to coordinate our schedules for another try yesterday. This time I came to his place with a 2-box unit that the local Whites dealer was gracious enough to loan me. After doing some tests in a nearby field on a soda can, it seemed like it was fit for the job. Simply gives no signals on a pile of 6 or 7 clad coins, yet DOES give a signal on a soda can :) So we took it in to the yard, and started going over the same area we had tried months ago. Finally, after about 10 min of trying to discern every single quiver of audio, a larger better "beep" came through :icon_thumright:

We dug down, all the while pulling these nuisance shiskabob skewer things aside as we dug ... And then.... CLUNK, hit the top of a plastic box. There she was! The man .... who was by this time beginning to wonder if he'd ever see his gold coins again, was ecstatic :hello2: He allowed me to take these pictures. As you can see, there's close to 40+ gold coins here. Double eagles, and a whole bunch of commemoratives from various countries (maple-leafs, krugerands, etc...). The commemoratives appeared to be in both 1/4 and 1/2 oz. sizes (eg.: $5 and $10 size). Easily $20k to $30k worth of gold there, at today's prices.

Some day I hope to find a non-commissioned non "tame" one of these, but in the meantime, this was a fun little hunt. The man tipped $250 for the work, of which I will be splitting that with the dealer for the referall.

2013_03_01_16.40.09.jpg

2013_03_01_16.43.28.jpg

2013_03_01_16.39.37.jpg

2013_03_01_16.39.05_1.jpg

2013_03_01_16.39.33.jpg

2013_03_01_16.39.41.jpg

Upvote 9

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an awesome story I can imagine it was pretty hard handing those over I think honorable mention is deserved

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe no banner, but definitely an honorable mention. Good work and I'm betting that guy is forever grateful!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that's a lot of money right there. I would have been more comfortable storing them in a safe rather than in the ground. just goes to show why there are hidden cashes of coins still out there to be found

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story. Honorable mention definitely. Did you get to hold any of the coins?? I wonder how many of these are out there just waiting to be found?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice congrats HH.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job! Congrats. Did you ask to have just one coin? I know I would have! Lol!

Tarponhuntr

Feb 24, 2013
Western , NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the back story , but with a chuckle in my heart , I propose the following conjecture. The fellow, seeing his marriage beginning to wane , and knowing his future plight , hatched a plan with his buddy to stash away his future seed money. Knowing that banks are easy targets for lawyers during the discovery of assets phase of divorce , he knew that his buddy and the dirt would tell no tales. Then, with his divorce finalized and all settlements paid , he decides to start his life anew , and go to recover his treasure.

Thus you have helped to make a broken man whole again ! Great job & great story !

Congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story. thanks for the entertainment.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, that's a good one. I was beginning to wonder if maybe the buddy hadn't dug the coins and put the iron all around to confuse people, but such was not the case. You have restored my faith in humanity. And the guy was lucky you were honest, too, because the wrong guy might have been back there digging at night....alone! People have been corrupted by a lot less.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Its stories like these that show what true detectorists offer. Thanks for making our hobby proud. And the money thanks they gave im sure felt nothing like the moment that u realized YOU found the gold, not bad at all.what a awesome hunt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many people have lost fortunes when they neglected to tell someone where they put their stuff and then died, etc. My grandmother supposed hid money in her house, but she died and nobody ever found it and now the house is gone. Replaced by a parking lot.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I keep wondering, with people hoarding gold and silver these days, just how many caches have been buried recently....I'm betting quite a few, and that detectorists in the future are going to have a lot of good finds!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a adventure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread