The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
pennypincher said:
newbie at all this, tried crh with quarters today and got SKUNKED

Quarters are the hardest to find silver in.

707 rolls searched, 2 quarters found. 1 quarter for every 7 boxes.

I will still grab a box of quarters when I am out hunting if I cant sub out 2 boxes of dimes or another box of half dollars. You just never know.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't usually search quarters but I only have one box of halves for Fri. so maybe I'll p/u a box of quarters for the weekend - though I'll probably regret it and be reminded why it is I never bother searchin' 'em.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Search a couple thousand dollars worth, then report back ;D
I've had decent luck the few times I've searched them, usually small amounts of $300-$700 worth, I will find a single silver.

Andrew123

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing with me here, 4 boxes so far hitting the wall. Just keep trying and probably you will get something interesting.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters are pretty much a waste of time. Last week while on my pickup run one of the tellers told me about a customer who had ran almost $6k in quarters through the coin counter. She told him she had been accumulating them for more than 20 years. Thinking that this might be a good score, I bought the 6 bags and was rewards with 1 1964D and a 1998S clad proof. Not too good for 24,000 coins searched, but that is unfortunately typical for quarters.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
waseeker said:
Quarters are pretty much a waste of time. Last week while on my pickup run one of the tellers told me about a customer who had ran almost $6k in quarters through the coin counter. She told him she had been accumulating them for more than 20 years. Thinking that this might be a good score, I bought the 6 bags and was rewards with 1 1964D and a 1998S clad proof. Not too good for 24,000 coins searched, but that is unfortunately typical for quarters.

I searched 3 boxes of Brinks Quarters early in my CRH career ( December of last year ) and I netted 2 quarters within 3 boxes. Since then, its been tokens and Canadians.

I will still do quarters though, if nothing else is around, cant hurt. Ill take the time to sort and possibly find a $6 quarter.

I plan on doing at least 2 boxes of quarters tomorrow and then grabbing whatever CWR's that I find. I am nearing in on my next 1 in 7 boxes so I might as well continue :D

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to say that quarters are so hard to hunt because they are so easy to find. What I mean by that is that Ag quarters are easy to spot because of their size. The frequency that they change hands causes them to be noticed, and therefore captured, by the masses.

Ag dimes are harder to find by the masses because they are small and nondescript.

Ag halves aren't found by the masses because they don't circulate.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
I like to say that quarters are so hard to hunt because they are so easy to find. What I mean by that is that Ag quarters are easy to spot because of their size. The frequency that they change hands causes them to be noticed, and therefore captured, by the masses.

Ag dimes are harder to find by the masses because they are small and nondescript.

Ag halves aren't found by the masses because they don't circulate.

You basically hit the nail on the head. The reason I continue to do quarters I stated earlier. I also wont hesitate to take CWR's in hopes someone dumped a collection.

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The only silver quarters I have found have been dumping finds. A lot of coin counters reject silver quarters -- yet another strike against finding them in boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions