Box of Uncirculated Nickels

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a couple boxes of nickels yesterday, I just opened one and nothing but brand new 2012 nickels were showing on both sides. Just to check, I opened one roll and sure enough, all 2012. They obviously have a lot of bag marks and probably aren't as good as the uncirculated rolls you get from the mint, but is it worth keeping them?

I was thinking about opening them and pulling out the ones in the best shape with the fewest bag marks and maybe keeping a roll or 2, but I wanted to get some input before I started.

Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Adamanteus

Greenie
Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would vote no as it would take near a lifetime for the value to increase above face value. You would be better off putting that 2 bucks in a savings acct. and drawing a minimal amount of compound interest :laughing7:

OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a quick search on ebay and apparently people will pay for them... I saw another business uncirc box that sold for just under $150 shipped and even some rolls selling for like $6-8 each. The mint charges $8.95 for 2 rolls of uncirculated pennies, which is why I thought there might be some value in these. I guess if I wanted to waste my time breaking them up and selling them as mint pairs I could make some money, but I'd rather open more rolls...

I think I'm going to go with my original thought and pull out the best roll of them, no harm stashing $2, and dump the rest.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my nickel boxes was a $100 brick of uncirculated 2012Ps. I dump in a coin machine so I needed to break each roll. I did notice that there were some older nickels mixed in the bunch. With this in mind, be careful if you decide to sell on eBay as that could get you negative feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread