box rolls vs customer rolls

urban miner

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'm a new member but I've been reading this site for awhile and roll hunting when I can... Anyway sorry if this has been posted but for those of you that search boxes and customer rolls, what do you have the best success in? For me I have a lot better luck with customer rolls, so much so that I might just start doing that and quit doing so many boxes. I just wanted to see what other people thought...

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get a lot of back and forth on this topic - my greatest scores have always been from
CWR's rather than boxes . Those who can do big volume (10 -40 boxes a week ) will likely
have a different opinion. I can reasonably turn over 2-4 boxes a week , CWR's have been
way more productive for me . Argentium.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I all most only get boxes!!! I try to get rolls just can't get them. I think rolls would be better if you can get them. :thumbsup:

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I think it depends on a lot of things, including what you are searching and whether there are other hunters in your area.

Except for halves I think customer rolls probably yield better, as customer rolls are more likely to have been sitting in someone's coin jar for several years rather than being cycled through retail cash drawers. Since most people only turn in their coins when their coin container is full or they really need money these coins are also more likely to have been rolled in a rush (if you have a water jug full of change, you'll probably want to just get through it as quick as possible), decreasing the likelihood that whoever brought the coins to the bank bother to inspect them closely for silver/wheats/etc.

Halves are a bit different, at least for me. I think you are more likely to end up with someone's dumps since so many people hunt halves as compared to other coins. That is, if you can even find halves in the branch. For instance, in my recent hunts around the office here in the city almost no one has halves. Out of about 30 banks checked, most had none, a few had a dollar or two, and the rest had what were obviously someone's dumps (probably the same guy, the same yellow String rolls opened at one end). The only exception was I found one branch that had a full unopened box of halves that someone had ordered but never bothered to pick up. Other than the unopened box I have found nothing this year at my city banks. On the other hand, I spent an afternoon recently hunting in my relatively small suburb about 30 miles out from the city and scored keepers at multiple banks including 4 solid rolls from one branch.

I guess my point is it depends. I would say try it out. If you search out customer rolls and teller trays for coin and it doesn't produce, try switching to boxes. The nice thing with boxes is you can do a high volume without spending a lot of time and gas driving around, but you will miss out on that occasional mother load from the kid who raids daddy's special stash of coins or the dead collector who's family didn't know there was anything special about all those coins grandpa saved. Myself, I have pretty much gone boxes only since my city hunting grounds don't produce and my grounds in the burbs need some time to accumulate more coin.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone had any good finds in bagged halves from a coin machine? I am about to buy a $1000 bag from a branch that wouldn't seem to have many CRH's dumping (besides me!) because its in a mall in an affluent area.

As far as rolls go:
I have gone to 12+ banks in the last two weeks to ask for halves (aside for 7 keepers in $10.50 in the tray at my local bank - beginner's luck!) I have found only two keepers and only a few branches that have any loose halves at all.

However, I have 4 banks that get boxes, three branches of my local bank get them for me, and one I am buying the supply they keep on hand for someone else. I have had only modest success so far going through $2500 of halves. I have found just as many as in the trays.

I think boxes are good because of all the coin machines everywhere, people dumping coin all the time. Some tellers are smart and they know about silver - and buy what they see. Its always good to ask the banks you go to for there loose halves anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions