Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many boxes of halves do you all do per bank?

I did a fair amount of CRH for dimes a few years back but haven't done much over the past couple years. I did dimes since it was just easier to get my hands on rather than halves. Today at the bank while getting a new debit card I asked about ordering some halves... she was INCREDIBLY helpful and said SURE! How many? I said.. two? She took my info and said it would be next week since this weeks arrived today.
I get a call about 2 hours later from the manager, just as cheerful as the other gal, and she just wanted to confirm my details and said she would call next week. Also said she could do it every week if I want.

Now... my question is how many do you guys do per bank? I would love to just order 4... or 6... or 10... but I don't want to press my luck. I will kindly ask the gal next time we talk to ensure I'm not a bother, but I was just curious first on what you all do for a baseline when I ask haha.

-Kookie

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kookie: did they ask if it was for a BUSINESS, or personal use. If a business most banks always bend over backwards. Go slow for a while.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get 8 at a time. The key to it is figuring out where you are going to get rid of the coins you don't want.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you asked about fees ???

like DD says--- go slow, 2 a week from each bank you get a green light from, the guys who lug those do carry live rounds :laughing9::laughing9:

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozer - Oddly, they did not. I have been asked that numerous times in the past, and when I state it is for personal use they seem to think I lie haha. This time they never asked though!

I used to get 8 at a time. The key to it is figuring out where you are going to get rid of the coins you don't want.

I have my own personal bank which has the free coin cashing. I just dump them all in the same place.

hope you asked about fees ???

like DD says--- go slow, 2 a week from each bank you get a green light from, the guys who lug those do carry live rounds :laughing9::laughing9:

Also, Oddly, they did not! I have in the past been told I could get coins at other locations and then they state an XYZ fee per $500. That was at the bank I now dump at though...
I talked to two people and thanked them immensely and I figure one of them would have mentioned a fee. If they pull some sort of fee shenanigans on the back end I will just leave them there. And im sure they dont want to end up sitting there with 1k in halves... :)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I get four boxes a week from three different banks. Getting rid of twelve boxes takes time but I have routes planned out so that I go about two months between dumps at any particular bank. I do not dump at banks that order for me. There may be 68 branches at Goober Bank and if I order from a Goober Bank I don't dump at any. I have accounts at six or seven banks so they can't refuse to take them!

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get four boxes a week from three different banks. Getting rid of twelve boxes takes time but I have routes planned out so that I go about two months between dumps at any particular bank. I do not dump at banks that order for me. There may be 68 branches at Goober Bank and if I order from a Goober Bank I don't dump at any. I have accounts at six or seven banks so they can't refuse to take them!

I guess in my mind the bank I bank at, with free coin cashing, I hadnt even given it a thought that they COULD say no when I cash them in. Has that happened to anyone? Can a bank simply say no we dont want your coins?

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumping searched coins is the least fun part of this hobby, aaarrrggghh! I try to do like Halfdime and spread the pain out to different branches. Twice I tried to buy rolls from a different branch of the bank I dumped at only to find my own searched and marked rolls! That cured me of the "feeding where I dump" idea!

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recommendation is to first figure out how many you can dump. It's a piece of cake to dump half dozen boxes of dimes. Not so much halves.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do one per week from two or three banks. Everyone is very comfortable with that. Crime is a major problem in Bodymorgue. I can't run fast enough with two boxes but when I get a good box I double down on my order the next week. Its never helped but I just keep fishing. The boxes I have been getting are pretty terrible but I have had a week where all three different types of boxes produced and most weeks not much to show for all the work lugging these things around. The past weeks have yielded 3 1987 coins and many many slightly blemished proofs (and 1 1970!) so most people seem to be edge checking and throwing the second tier coins to me. Lots of worn down marked coins in my boxes. Ugh. I dump them at many different types of banks where I know managers and tellers are collectors. I vary the route and only have one bank I dump at frequently because they are super nice and I can drop the coins an hour before the courier comes to get them.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have to back off from my dump bank. I just got back from dumping $500 in halves and I got the "stink eye" and questions about where I got them, what I am doing with them, and have I found any silvers! I may start waiting on coin machine bags to fill and ask for teller tray halves. That should cut down my volume for awhile giving me a break......

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may be 68 branches at Goober Bank and if I order from a Goober Bank I don't dump at any.

68 branches? The entire county where I live there are only 3 banks and a credit union. I keep family money in one bank and CRH in the CU. Used to be a BofA but they closed down a year ago.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can a bank simply say no we dont want your coins?

Happened to me only once and it was a Wells Fargo. It was a small branch and I only brought in $500 bags. I was told to stop because I filled their vault and they had no more room.

I was a proud CRHer that day. I had to much money for WF.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess in my mind the bank I bank at, with free coin cashing, I hadnt even given it a thought that they COULD say no when I cash them in. Has that happened to anyone? Can a bank simply say no we dont want your coins?

Happened to me. I even had permission from the branch manager to dump as much as $1000 in halves weekly. After 4-6 weeks of dumping between $500-$700, I was told that I could no longer bring in coins.

A bank is just a business. They can close your account anytime they wish for any reason whatsoever. If you'll read the agreement you signed when you opened the account, you'll see that it says just that.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

It happens far more often than you'd think, and it's always a pain when it does. I thought I was out of the CRH game when my dump bank of 5 years removed their coin counting machines this summer. I had slowly built up my dumps to where I could dump $1,000 per day (at different branches) with no problems, and all of a sudden nowhere to take them.

As others have said, start slow. Even when I could pick up more, I never got more than 2 boxes per week from any one branch. For one thing, that's the most I can comfortably carry, and it's more than my tellers can carry. You start making things difficult for them, you'll wear out your welcome fast!

Same goes for your dump bank. If you normally dump a very small amount (or nothing), then come in with so much they have to start servicing the machine, especially more than once a week, they may decide their relationship with you isn't worth it - particularly if you don't have accounts with large balances with them, cause they'll be losing money.

Take it slow, build up relationships with both pick up and dump banks, and frequently show your gratitude to the tellers and managers. Good luck!

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last five years CRHing, I have been cutoff a few times.

One was a machine that would fill-up or get jammed each time I came. It brought too much attention and resulted in a 5% fee for dumping.

Another bank changed my free checking to business checking with a monthly fee.

One of my pickup banks said it would be a $5 fee to order halves.

Another said they had to keep their dime boxes for the local businesses.

Another bank (smaller regional bank) said their vault had $18000 worth of my coins and that they didn't know what to do with them. I felt bad when I saw this old man loading some of my boxes into the bank's minivan. They didn't have a coin service agreement with garda, brinks, or whomever. They rolled their own coins apparently. They said no more.

One bank kept sighing and telling me to take them back to the bank I got them from. I tried to explain that they were my bank and I get them from all over. They eventually said sorry no more.

Finally, one bank with a nice counting machine instituted the 5% fee. So, I started rolling them instead. They said it was too much work unrolling them to run through the machine. Eventually, they said they would not take my coins in any form.

I still have a pickup bank and a dump bank that work with me weekly with no complaints, but if I lose them it's pretty much over unless management has changed at one of the other banks in town.

It's a hobby. Keep on rolling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread