Boy Finds Time Capsule in Grandmothers Garden

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
Boy Finds 'Time Capsule' in Grandmother's Garden

From the Associated Press (AP):

MANTON, Mich. (June 3) - It wasn't buried treasure, but a boy working in his grandmother's garden pulled from the ground a wooden box that contained a Chrysler emblem, a tealight candle and newspapers from 1952, among other items.

Cole Ordway, 13, discovered the box on Memorial Day at the home of his grandmother, Betty Dowell. Cole's mother, his 17-year-old sister and a neighbor also were on hand for the discovery.

Inside, family members also found feathers, a pair of pliers, a jackknife with a colorful bear image on the handle and a carabiner.

It wasn't clear when the box was buried because although the newspapers were 55 years old, some of the other items appeared newer, Dowell said.

Dowell has lived at the home in Wexford County for about two years. She plans to try and find who owned her property in 1952 for clues.

She said she will add items to the box, including a Beanie Baby, a DVD and grocery receipts, then rebury the box.

"I hope nobody finds it for another 50 years," Dowell said.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Boy Finds 'Time Capsule' in Grandmother's Garden

Cool story, reminds me of....My aunt in Georgia,she buried a time capsule in her yard some years ago.She has since bought a metal detector to try and find it.So far she hasn't had any luck. :)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: Boy Finds 'Time Capsule' in Grandmother's Garden

dang sqzdog that is an awesome buckle in your avatar! Did you dig that thing up or did you buy it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread