Boy / Girl Scouts of America Silver Dollar Centennial Commemorative Coin

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
For those who are or was in the Boy Scouts, esp you Eagles, you may find this exciting....

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/04/28/...er-dollar-centennial-commemorative-coin-4056/

"..............The bill, H.R. 5872, is entitled the Boy Scouts of America Centennial Commemorative Coin Act and calls for 350,000 silver $1 coins to be minted in 2010. The collector coin would contain 90% silver and 10% copper. ............"

".........
SEC. 3. COIN SPECIFICATIONS.
(a) $1 Silver Coins- The Secretary of the Treasury (hereafter in this Act referred to as the `Secretary’) shall mint and issue not more than 350,000 $1 coins in commemoration of the centennial of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, each of which shall–
(1) weigh 26.73 grams;
(2) have a diameter of 1.500 inches; and
(3) contain 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper.
(b) Legal Tender- The coins minted under this Act shall be legal tender, as provided in section 5103 of title 31, United States Code.
(c) Numismatic Items- For purposes of sections 5134 and 5136 of title 31, United States Code, all coins minted under this Act shall be considered to be numismatic items.
SEC. 4. DESIGN OF COINS.
(a) Design Requirements-
(1) IN GENERAL- The design of the coins minted under this Act shall be emblematic of the 100 years of the largest youth organization in United States, the Boy Scouts of America.
(2) DESIGNATION AND INSCRIPTIONS- On each coin minted under this Act, there shall be–
(A) a designation of the value of the coin ;
(B) an inscription of the year `2010′; and
(C) inscriptions of the words `Liberty’, `In God We Trust’, `United States of America’, and `E Pluribus Unum’.
(b) Selection- The design for the coins minted under this Act shall be–
(1) selected by the Secretary, after consultation with the Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America and the Commission of Fine Arts; and
(2) reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.
................."

And for those of us who were Girl Scouts...here's a link for a coin: http://www.coinnews.net/2008/07/02/girl-scouts-centennial-silver-coin-legislation-summarized-4235/

I just need to find out when they go on the market...anyone know?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
dude thats awesome! I am totally getting me one of those coins since I am an eagle scout! :)

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just called the mint. They don't have any info on that yet. She said to call a few months before they are due for release. They are even getting calls for the new pennies and they don't have info on that either....however, the Hawaii State Quarter will be released in Nov 2008, but she said they aren't given dates, just that it will be released in Nov.

I hope every EAGLE SCOUT gets one and I am hoping we can get one for each young man in our troop (15!!!). I'll keep posted here if I find out anything new.

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread