Boy scout camps

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
We hunt a Boy Scout camp in Surry Co, Virginia....

Most BS Camps have rangers living on them...you can either contact the Ranger at the camp or if no Ranger available....contact the BS District Office for that camp to get permission.

You could probably do an internet search on a particular BS Camp and it will usually tell you what district owns it.....atleast, it should tell you!!!!

We have hunted other BS Camps in our area, and you can pretty much keep what you find...however, at the one in Surry Co, due to digs currently going on...we have to turn over the finds (with the exception of silver and clad coins, some BS stuff, etc.).

Good luck!!
Annmarie
Troop 65, Committee Member & Former Pack 65 Webelos Den Leader
Tidewater Council
Cape Henry District

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
If you obtain permission, then hunting the older camps can be very interesting. I have hunted a camp in York Co. and one in Lancaster Co. they were both great for silver and some old coins near the homestead part of the camps. We tried to gain the needed permission for a camp that is on the Pa/Md border. Talking to the caretaker we learned it was OK with him but had to gain the final OK from the director. He would not return calls or take our calls. Guess some people are like that. The one camp has produced silver for over 6 years, one coin a 1811/09 bust dime. Good luck!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...Camp Guyasuta in Sharpsburg...now that would be a good hunt.

Chief Guyasuta had his homestead near the entrance of the camp but was destroyed when they built the ramp for the Highland Park bridge.

I hiked that park many, many times as a boy. It's changed a lot since.

Where there used to be a fire ring where troops gathered inside the enterance, is now a building, meeting house I suppose. The swimming pool is still there, as is the trails and camp sites that havent changed since I remember.

I took my wife's son there this past summer and it's still a very busy place. They host very big meetings and conferences there.

And speaking of Indians...when my brother hiked the hills there, he used to find arrowheads. I never found any but we were just talking about that recently.

I used to know the ranger there but he's gone and another has moved in to take his place. The ranger has a house in the park so I'm sure if someone asked...the may be able to get permission. The new guy seems friendly enough.
Al

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year the third annual DFXonly hunt will be held at Camp Tuscazoar in Dover, OH. 2007 was at Camp McKinney and 2006 was a Camp Pee Wee. To see the finds at these hunts check out this web site:

http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Schrecky...that sounds awesome.
Wouldnt be that far of a drive for me. I just scanned the link you gave...what's the registration fee and details. Can I pitch a tent? What about the cabin rentals?

Dont know if my work schedule would allow this far in advance, but sure would like to consider it.
Al

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal; Yea, you are not that far away. Read through the posts under the Camp Tuscazoar heading. That is the only information available. More should be posted pretty soon. The entire camp is rented and cabins are available. It is a big historic site, should be fun. Registration fee hasn't been posted yet but shouldn't be very much. DON11971 is the main organizer. JerDfx from Pittsburgh usually attends.

Hope you can make it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions