Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
starsplitter said:
Greetings:

Is there a person or group out there in southeastern PA that is interested in research/hunting for Braddock Campaign relics? Thanks!

Starsplitter

Maby I'm Misunderstanding Your Post.

You do Know Braddocks Campaign was in

South-Western PA ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some maps for you

Attachments

• indexsssss.jpg
    indexsssss.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 878
  • indexssss.jpg
    indexssss.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 699
  • indexsss.jpg
    indexsss.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 718
  • indexss.jpg
    indexss.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 621
  • indexsssss.jpg
    indexsssss.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 647
  • indexssss.jpg
    indexssss.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 600
  • indexsss.jpg
    indexsss.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 573
  • indexss.jpg
    indexss.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 559
OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Jeff:

No, you didn't misunderstand, I did. Sorry for the typo. By the way, I added some info I found in the past couple of days to the other strand. I think it pretty much squelches the lost gold legend. However, there might be other opportunities. After I'm done reading Braddock on the Monongehala, I will know better. Also, I cut and pasted your maps to my Word document. Thanks.

Starsplitter

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typo is what I thought, Just wanted to Make Sure :P

Sorry I can't get clearer Wording on that Last Map.

Anyway Best of Luck With This.
If I lived Closer I'd offer to Join in.
but I'm on the Wrong side of the Susquehanna,
and this definately is not a One day project.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Jeff,

One or two people made mention of French forts strung across PA. It caught my attention because one of them was supposedly on a farmer's land. I'm curious to find out about these too - if one doesn't have to cope with a state park or whatever built around the site. Some other things, like "Spanish Hill" are intriguing.

Starsplitter

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Understanding

Spanish Hill
http://www.spanishhill.com/Relics/Default.htm

is Off limits

This is Mentiond,

Spanish Hill is currently private property- no trespassing is advised.

However Considering the Top of the Main page saying

This site is NOT for "Treasure Hunters."

I wonder if they are Lying about it being private,
or Holding back on that permission can be obtained.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings Diggit:

Question: is the Braddock Trail that you mention THE exact route? Does it jibe with contemporary maps? Thanks!

Starsplitter

pbmudflats

Feb 20, 2007
Hi Guys. I'm brand new to this forum, but have been an avid TH'er for over 20 years. I'm very interested in joining in a hunt for any relics from Gen Braddock's army. I moved back here to SW PA a few years ago after being gone for about 35 years, and I'm really into the history of the area.
I've already followed along the believed trail of the force from Connelsville all the way to Braddock, stopping for a brief time at each of the historical markers at the presumed campsites. Just spent a little time at each one, trying to visualize what it would have been like to see the large mass of soldiers and woodsmen camped out, and trying to picture where a coin or button might likely be found.
I also attended the 250th anniversary of the Battle at the Braddock branch of the Carnegie Library, back in the Summer of 2005. They put on a great presentation with various speakers and even had reenactors to give a better feel for the importance of the Battle. A number of us walked along with the reenactors from the library to a location a few blocks away that is accepted as the site of the first shots fired in the Battle. The French and Indian reenactors were on one side of the street, while the British troops stood across from them. Then they fired a volley to commemorate the event. There were also free shuttles to a few other locations where presenters gave more info on the events of the day, and some weapon demonstrations. Another of the stops was high on the bluff above the site, which gave a great overview on where the Battle took place (obviously quite changed in 2 1/2 centuries, but the overall terrain remains).
Anyway, the reason for my post is to find out if any of you fellow TH'ers out there would consider a hunt somewhere along the trail. It would have to be in the Spring, after the ground thaws, but before the huge masses of poison ivy spring up locally.
Portions of Braddock are quite seedy and dangerous looking, but a small group of detectorists could perhaps be fairly safe in a daytime hunt. Not that I'm knocking the town, as I live in another of the distressed old steel mill towns (Donora) along the Mon River, where 20 people died, and hundreds took ill, in the first acknowledged occurrence of "smog" in history back in 1948. Contacting the local police dept to let them know of our intentions could perhaps be helpful, and the idea of possibly offering some of the residents a small donation or a share of any finds could open up a few unsearched areas. There are also some unchanged areas in the vicinity of the battle (hard rock outcroppings) that intrigued me. I also have been offered access to a large farm in the Hunker/New Stanton area that, based on my calculations, had to be directly in the path of the march, and probably, the retreat.
As you can see, I get quite wordy sometimes, but I can talk "treasure" for days on end. I'll put a few of my tales on the forum in the future, as some of my experiences have been, in a word, entertaining. So, if there's any interest in a hunt, let's hook up. Looking forward to hearing from any of you.
Also as a postscript to some earlier posts, I don't feel that there's any credibility to the finding of the General's gold at the Braddock site. They were completely surprised by the attack, fought an intense battle for a few hours, and then quickly retreated back across the Monongahela River twice to get back to the location outside of Uniontown where Gen Braddock finally died from his wounds. Braddock's personal wagon probably would not have been up there in the lead with the troops, and once the fighting started, the treasure guards wouldn't have had time to dig much of a hole to bury a large chest. Also the clay soil here in SW PA isn't the easiest material to dig into once it gets hardened by the summer sun. Just my thoughts on the matter. ???

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Mudflats:

Greetings. I enjoyed reading your post. A few notes:

Recently, I have done a significant amount of research into Braddock's defeat. Much of it has been primary (often, "treasure stories" are two, three, or dozens of people removed from the actual event). Some of what I have learned is posted in the "cache" forum of this site. Also, posted there is information from well-informed members.

I am in contact with a long-time Braddock Road Association (BRA) member who also served on the board for a number of years. He has done much to preserve the trail - a local historian, re-enactor, and in my opinion, a great guy. In fact, I kind of envy him. He works with kids on a regular basis - but, I think in a much more fun context than me (I am a history teacher).

In general, the BRA people seem to be avid historians and preservationists. I doubt they'd appreciate a bunch of "treasure hunters" digging up grounds. That being said, most of the road is on private property. And, as you said, Braddock is open (if homeowners cooperate). By the way - gold. I have read several primary accounts (as in people who were there with Braddock and in the battle).

The accounts are pretty consistent: Braddock's gold was saved. However, there are a handful of other primary sources that state the contrary (or some variation thereof). However, the stories add up to the gold being rescued or captured by the French. By the way, Braddock's silver service, papers, and other personal items were definitely captured.

On the other hand, there is treasure - just not the treasure expected. I have little doubt of it. And, I am a very questioning sort. I am working on it. The catch is I cannot bring myself to just go out, detect, and dig stuff up. In Braddock I suppose it doesn't matter anymore - the place has been so torn up over the years. Elsewhere, that is not the case (at least not to Braddock's degree). So, I am moving forward from that perspective. And, trying to make sure whatever I do does not undermine historical preservation.

Please stay in touch. I want to head back to southwestern PA in the near future.

Starsplitter
Cleveland, Ohio

FGM

Sep 17, 2007
I lived very close to Braddock's Field as a boy from 1967 t0 1972. My friend's grandfather was walking through the construction site for General Braddock Towers,(corner of Sixth and Baldridge Ave.) when he spotted half what I believe to be a six pound cannonball sticking up from a recently excavated area of the construction site. He dug it up and took it home. It was intact. I don't know what became of it but he showed us where he found it. Any interest please reply.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I travel thru Braddock daily going to work. They're tearing down
a lot of old homes & digging out the foundations. Tried twice to
get in there after work, so far hasn't worked out. Not a good area
to spend a lot of time alone with anything of value.

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Tubecity said:
I travel thru Braddock daily going to work. They're tearing down
a lot of old homes & digging out the foundations. Tried twice to
get in there after work, so far hasn't worked out. Not a good area
to spend a lot of time alone with anything of value.

We could take turns swingin the coil and standin sentry for each other. ;)

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Another interesting point about Braddock/North Braddock is that
during the Civil War there was a 'mustering out' camp where locals
were outfitted & loaded on trains to report for duty. There was a program at the Monroeville MD'ing Club given by a college history
professor who had researched this . It was called Camp Copeland &
was located in North Braddock & there is a Copeland St. Again, I work with many guys who grew up here & some still in this area &
with all the drug activity & shootings, it's not a good place for us to
enjoy our hobby.

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Yes it was called Camp Copeland. The professor was called art fox. I was the founder of mamdc and first prez. I had him in 2 times talking about cw in pittsburgh area. The other guys that mention the 6 pounder cannonball. Yes they are up there if you dare to hunt up there. I've found a few coppers and axe heads and one 2 pounder cannonball. Their stuff up there but the cops that you need to worry about. Young guys out to make a name from their selfs. Good luck up there and wear your eyes back of your head and you'll be just fine. ;D

Bill(pa)

Tubecity said:
Another interesting point about Braddock/North Braddock is that
during the Civil War there was a 'mustering out' camp where locals
were outfitted & loaded on trains to report for duty. There was a program at the Monroeville MD'ing Club given by a college history
professor who had researched this . It was called Camp Copeland &
was located in North Braddock & there is a Copeland St. Again, I work with many guys who grew up here & some still in this area &
with all the drug activity & shootings, it's not a good place for us to
enjoy our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread