Brains of the elderly

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Brains of the elderly slow because they know so much......

The brains of older people only appear to be less speedy, because they have so much information to access,
much like a full-up hard drive, scientists believe.

Elderly people have so much information in their brain that it takes longer for them to access it, scientific studies show.

Older people do not decline mentally with age. It just takes them longer to recall facts, because they have more information in their brains, research suggests.

Much like a computer that takes longer as the hard drive gets full up, so do humans take longer to access information, it has been reported.

Researchers say this slowing down is not the same as cognitive decline.

“The human brain appears to work slower in old age,” said Dr. Michael Ramscar, “but only because so much information has been stored over time. Older people
simply know more, so selecting a correct choice from the trove of stored data may take a bit longer.”

So there now!!!!!!

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally a study that makes sense. S.N.O.P.E.S. Agrees Too…..

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been saying that since I was in my early 60s. But, I really wonder if it's true. Sometime it takes me several days, even months to remember something that I want to recall. I remember about 20 years ago, I was trying to think of a girl's name that I knew back in the 50s. I remembered her first and second name, but couldn't recall her last name. I could 'see' her face and even her mother's face, but couldn't remember the last name. I thought about it often, but just couldn't recall that name! I even asked a couple of people that I knew, but they had never known the girl or her mother. When they moved out of the house that they had lived in for quite a few years, my family lived in that same house for about 2 years. Then one morning I woke up and happened to remember trying to remember the name. Bingo! There is was! I had been trying to recall it for about 8 or 9 years! Sitting here, I still remember it! I guess it had been such a long time trying to 'access' that name, I have remembered it ever since.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 86 y/o Mother lives with us now. She can remember a story from some old moldy cobwebbed era, but she cant seem to remember that she's told us the same friggin story a thousand times. If I start getting like that, I'm going on a walkabout.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread