Brand new Ace 250 giving me trouble-help

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
I just received an Ace 250 and I am having a few problems with it ans was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what they did to resolve the issue/s.
1. The pinpointer function works erratically. Sometimes when I use the pinpointer it will give a strong indication of an object and when I move the coil away from the target the pinpointer will still be giving a strong indication of a target, even if pointed at the sky. Also when the pinpointer function is used it will give a faint humming through the headphones.
2. If the side of the case is bumped it will sound off like it has found a target.
3. After a few minutes of use the battery level indicator fades out and the sensitivity meter also starts to fade out, like it has weak batteries, but I have replaced the batteries 5 times with all different types from the major batter manufactures. No other part of the lcd screen fades out, just the above mentioned items.
4. If the unit sits overnight and then you turn it back on it will look and work as normal. Sometimes it will work ok after sitting for a while and then other times it will start having trouble almost right after it is turned on. It does seem to get progressively worse as the unit "warms" up.
This Ace 250 was a gift to introduce me to the hobby of metal detecting. So far I am hooked, even with the troubles. The unit worked for two days flawlessly and I was finding some coins and stuff. I got just enough time on the Ace to realize that I like this hobby and want more of it.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bruce jr

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I agree with Dick. You should send it back. Especially because it's brand new. Have it checked. Good luck with it.
Mike in NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread