Brand new Ace 250, need tips and tricks please

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Ace 250, I love mine. It is lightweight so you can swing a full day without getting tired, and easy to learn. It will pay for itself in no time too. As far as tips I have the following and I am sure others will chime in.

1- Get to know you machines sounds. Drop pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, pull tabs and a ring or two to get to know the distinct sounds. Place them on the ground and run the machine over them until you can start hearing the different sounds. Don't forget a strong pull tab sound may be gold, or a pull tab.

2- Learn how to use the pinpointer in the same manner as above. Practice with your eyes closed and once you hear the strong pinpoint sound just lower the coil and see where it hits on your target.

The standard 9" x 6.5" coil is good, but you may want to later upgrade to a larger 12" x 9" Garrett, or the one I bought which is the Excelerator 14" x 10". The larger coil will enable to cover more ground in a shorter time and make quicker recoveries

3- Discrimination Settings
A) Soil I hunt on a 4-5
B) Beach lower it to a 3

4- Hunt settings. I normally leave mine on all metal and you can later adjust to block out foil, etc if that is not what you are hunting. This also has a coin mode, as well as a jewelry mode and I do use them from time to time. I perfer all metal because I don't want to miss a thing :D

You will also see at times people refer to Zincolns, they are those nasty pennies that ring up as dimes because of the zinc. For the most part what the 250 says it found and what it finds is very accurate.

Tip There are times you will be fooled by the size of the target. An example is you get a 10 cents silver tone for a target 2-3" down. After passing the 3" your target your target is still there, but deeper down. This may end up to be an old aluminum can, as I have found on a few occasions :laughing9:

Tip Mixed tones. At times you may hear several tones ranging from foil to silver. What I do is try to isolate the clean silver tone, pinpoint and dig. If you are still having trouble trying to separate the tones, just move and approach your target from a new side, this may help. If not, just dig the mixed target and see what you have. You will be surprised like the rest of us. Sometimes it's good, sometimes trash.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me

Happy hunting with your new toy :hello2: :headbang:

ricknaks

Jun 14, 2003
el dorado kansas
Detector(s) used
ace 250/fisher f5
i got mine a couple weeks ago and i have learned that by decreasing the sensitivity to 4 or 5 really

helps to get better target accuracy.i had my first good day today.started finding coins and a couple

nickels and they were rite on the nickels courser on target id . i did find a silver dime in a Friends

yard but let him keep it ,trying to get him hooked on mding lol.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing is to scroll down this Garrett forum and read every post (on rainy days, detect on sunny days!) about the ace you will find every possible subject touched upon I am still learning from these posts to this day.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine hits coins and jewlry pretty hard. This machines is the best 200 dollar unit hands down. Digging the pulltabs nickels and foil is a must for jewlry. Also for silver dig those dimes and quarters. The Ace is a fun dry beach machine too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread