Brand New, and hopeful

Mar 9, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Georgia, y'all! I am exploring breaking into the Metal Detecting world. I am looking at buying a detector, and Ive narrowed it down to a couple. I am looking at the White's MXT and the Garrett AT Pro. Ive compared them side by side and it seems like the Garrett is a better machine. I would appreciate some help on this decision as it is a relatively costly one. I want to be able to use the detector in dry and wet places (beach or river), so it needs to have a waterproof coil, at least. Other suggestions are welcome if Im missing another worthy contender. Thanks in advance!

-Coastie

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are thinking about using your detector on shorelines or in shallow water, the AT Pro would be the better choice. That way if you decide you like water hunting you don't need to buy another detector. The coils on most machines are waterproof but the electronics unit are not. Accidentally drop your machine, or set down and a wave washes over it and you could ruin it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from Georgia! I would go with AT probably. It's a good mid-range machine and great in freshwater. A lot if people use in saltwater with good success, but you have to ground balance it down and ease up on sensitivity. Most every machine has waterproof coils. Good luck and HH! PS: the stock headphones are not waterproff but the whole machine is. You can wade in shallow water, just not submerge the headphones. The Grey Ghost underwater headphones will run you $150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Mar 9, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Fletch! Good info you provided there. I have a question about your statement "the stock headphones are not waterproff but the whole machine is.". What whole machine is waterproof? The AT? I didnt see that on the spec's sheet; but I did see the coil as said to be waterproof. It certainly would be the "nail in the coffin", between the MXT and AT, if the AT were completely waterproof. Then again, I know a White's dealer that is willing to hook me up with some pretty awesome "freebies" if I go with the White's.

OP
OP
C
Mar 9, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan, is the MXT incapable of water hunting? From what I see on the spec's sheet, the MXT is able to hunt shallow water, as is the AT. Is there something hidden that needs to be exposed?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Coastie, I am on to you. I have been prospecting in Georgia. Here's what I use and it's 15 years old and finds the gold in Georgia soil. You can pick up a Whites Surfmaster PI for around $400. Your dealer might have one since they have been making them for about 17 or so years. It's totally waterfroof and it goes deeper than either of the two you mentioned. The best part is it is a turn on and go detector. That is no learning curve. Since it's a PI type it is the best for your coastal beaches. Get a nice shovel for the dirt, actually I use a 3 tine rake most of the time. Get a good long handled stainless steel scoop. Not the big heavy ones! Good luck, Frank...
y gold bars.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome CH! See if you can go test the detectors hands on, you may discover you like one better than another.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coastie Hunter the big hype of the AT is its waterproof to 10'. It's a decent all around machine, but if you don't plan on wading over knee deep there are better bangs for your bucks IMHO.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan, is the MXT incapable of water hunting? From what I see on the spec's sheet, the MXT is able to hunt shallow water, as is the AT. Is there something hidden that needs to be exposed?

most any any machine can be taken into water as long as you don't get the control box wet. But getting the box wet is easier to do than you think. It can get dropped or splashed when you dig a target or have a wave sneak up and wash over it when you set it down thinking you are safely on dry land.

The AT on the other hand is built so that the entire control box can be submersed, so you could hunt water chest high if you wanted to and you don't need to worry about getting it wet. The water is very alluring, it's just easy to want to go a little deeper to get at targets, and or to cool off on a very hot day. In Georgia in the middle of summer, water may be the only comfortable place to hunt.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Coastie; I'm a former Coastie. Welcome to the Forum. Good Luck on your choices. Where were you stationed ?? I was on thev Hamilton. Your the first Coastie I've met here knowingly. PM me so we can talk ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread