Brand New and Not Sure Where To Start

rjwhite

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2011
Hello everyone. I read a lot of posts on here once I found the site and am impressed by what some of you are doing. I am a middle school teacher in Cobb County and live in the Dallas, GA area. I have lived here about 6 years and do not know many people in the area. I am brand new to this and do not know where to start. I am going to purchase a metal detector and plan to touch base with local historical societies, but otherwise am at a lost of what to do. I see there are a couple of clubs but as a parent, teacher, and grad student I sometimes have a hard time getting to those. Any suggestions or direction from experienced hunters would be appreciated. My finds will be used in my classroom as examples of the past and not be for sale. I could buy some but there is no story to that to get the interest of the students, I want to use this as a teachable moment when we cover this in the curriculum. I appreciate your help and wish you all the best of luck!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
rjwhite said:
Hello everyone. I read a lot of posts on here once I found the site and am impressed by what some of you are doing. I am a middle school teacher in Cobb County and live in the Dallas, GA area. I have lived here about 6 years and do not know many people in the area. I am brand new to this and do not know where to start. I am going to purchase a metal detector and plan to touch base with local historical societies, but otherwise am at a lost of what to do. I see there are a couple of clubs but as a parent, teacher, and grad student I sometimes have a hard time getting to those. Any suggestions or direction from experienced hunters would be appreciated. My finds will be used in my classroom as examples of the past and not be for sale. I could buy some but there is no story to that to get the interest of the students, I want to use this as a teachable moment when we cover this in the curriculum. I appreciate your help and wish you all the best of luck!
Anyone can get a detector. Most are left in the closet at home. They do no one any good there.

Here's a suggestion.

You likely already have access to older newspapers in your area. If you don't, find out how you can get access.

Try checking the lost and found ads for the period between 1910 and 1960. During this time frame, lost watches, rings, pins, broaches, and other metallic valuables could be posted for free in many papers. Write them down. Plot them on a map. Wherever there are clusters of lost objects, there is a good chance of finding something.

Some of the items you find you may have enough information on to return. Others you won't. No reason not to recycle those for which you can find no current owner for. Silver is currently about $35/ounce, gold and platinum are comparably priced.

Knowing where valuables have been lost and where upscale developments were located is most of the research needed to find some pretty nice goodies with a detector. The rest is up to you.

OP
OP
R

rjwhite

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2011
I will keep that in mind. This area was really not developed that much until the late 1990's and was mostly rural until then.

I am hoping that some Civil War hunters can help give me some direction. Thank you for your guidance, it is most helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread