Brand New Guy Here!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of retiring and have always wanted to get into the metal detecting game. I have a general question regarding which sweeper to purchase. I am planning to buy a high end machine and I am trying to decide between a Minelab or White's DFX. They are both around the $1100.00 range but everytime I speak to someone I change my mind. Any idea's as to which you prefer. I just want to do general detecting, coins, rings, relics, etc. I appreciate any help. We live right outside Pittsburgh, Pa.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, welcome to Tnet and howdy to you neighbor. I'm just a tad North of the Burg myself.

You can get into a lot of debate on which machine to buy. If you're not in a hurry, there are a couple metal detecting clubs in the Pittsburgh area...one in Butler, Monroeville areas.
Hook up with them on one of their meetings and see who has what and if they'll give you a demonstration on it's use and feel.

Both have a steep learning curve so you have to be patient whichever machine you get.

I have the DFX and a couple older White's machines. I'm just a faithful White's user. I like their customer service and find nice stuff with their machines.

Same would be said from any Minelab user.

I'm developing arthritis so my decision was primarily a lighter weight machine. But...I never picked up a Minelab.

I'd offer a chance to try mine out but my work schedule is going into a 12 hour/seven day week starting next Thursday 7pm to 7am. This weekend I'm heading up to Centralia to meet a bunch of other Pa detectorists. That would be a good opportunity for you to not only meet a bunch of other detectorists but see the different machines and then make an educated decision.

Check the Pennsylvania forum for details on Centralia and you can also check the forums specific to brands. Als check the forum on where groups are located for phone contacts, web sites, etc.

Again, welcome.
Al

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take deepskyal up on his advice by trying out different brands. With every machine there are pros and cons but what it boils down to is your personal preference. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding someone to show you their detector and let you swimg it would be the best way to get a feel for what you like. I am mainly a Minelab user now, but have used a DFX well. As a newbie the DFX with it's preset program may be easier to learn to use. I would think the Minelab would have a steep learning curve and it confuses more people when it shouldn't.

Remember it isn't about the money you'll find but the fun you'll have doing it.

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
When I retired last year I went thru the same tug of war between the Minelab SE and Whites DFX. The Minelab won and I've never looked back. It's a fantastic machine which has just about paid for itself already.

Pete

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are asking a question that will only be answered by trying out both machines. They are both great machines and a lot will be determined by how much time you are willing to devote to the learning process. I started with an Explorer and quickly found out that I was not going to have the patience to learn it. I sold it and bought an MXT, couldn't be happier.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would just go for the fisher f75, with the great depth, light weight, fast audio responce, and the best ergonomics out there, and believe are easyer to learn than the 2 you mentioned, just keep your sensitivity set low

kbmetald

May 11, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Welcome to T-Net. I'm a white's man at heart but both detectors will get you what you seek.

Good luck and enjoy.

H.H.

Ken

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your DOOMED :thumbsup:

JWRM42

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2008
PITTSBURGH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 (cheap, but does the trick)
Glad to see a fellow Pittsburgher!

Both machines are great choises! It's really up to you....

JW :icon_king:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Welcome to TNET.

I would recommend the DFX. But you don't have to spend that much if you don't want to. Metal detectors do the same thing, just have different features and options. A $1,000 machine isn't all that better then a $500 one. You should just get the one your comfortable with. Also a pinpointer will help you greatly. I use the White's Bullseye II pinpointer, it's a handheld one that works on Tone and Vibration. Usually can pick them up new for $79.00

Whichever you choose, good luck and welcome to the club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread