Brand New (Like Today New)

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
I have been reading, watching video's and was ready to hunt. Couldn't wait to get home from work and start. I hit my back yard probably hoping to find anything. I was getting confussed because of some of the signals I was receiving. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 and was hitting what said 1.00 and .50 on my coin selection. When I would go over the area again I would receive nothing or maybe a .01 indication. I guess I am wanting to know if these are false readings or am I doing something wrong.

My house was built about three years ago but the yard was once part of a school play field. Anyone with any suggestions I would love to hear every one of them.

PS I did find a crushed beer can and what looked like a pull tab of some sort..... LOL

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
First, clean out an area that is free of the smallest metal scraps.

Then plant yourself a garden with a variety of metallic objects appropriately spaced and at various depths. Everything from coins to bobby pins and aluminum foil. Make sure you mark what is where, with wooden Popsicle sticks, write on the stick what it is and and how deep.

Now start practicing working with the coil, sweep speeds, height above ground, and so on. This will give you a great start in learning what you are hearing with your particular machine.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And keep it as close to the ground as possible when you are swinging the detector. And when you get a signal "cross" it ie left-right-back-forward. If you get a repeatable signal you are on for digging. Or to start with dig everything and memorize what each target's signal sounded like. I have an Ace 250 also, and like any detector you have to get used to it.
You'll get it!

HH,
Ramapirate

Huck Mucus

Sep 11, 2008
Some questions:

1. When building a garden, how far apart should items be?

2. I have some barbed wire fence, with metal t-posts, on my place. How far away from that will I have to be? Does it present any issues? If I am *under* the wire, does that matter (i.e. do detectors read up as well as down?).

3. I have one overhead power line on my place. Does that present any issues I should be aware of?

4. I read somewhere about hunting being more fun after a rain. We are generally dry as hell here. Is it better when the "soil" is wet?

5. What about frozen ground? Is that good or bad for locating? Hard to dig, but how about locating and marking for spring?

Thanks.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
as for your garden bury them far enough apart to prevent overlapping on your coil
detectors will read or detect in a 360 x 360
overhead power lines will effect your sensitivity level
wet soil had a tendency to increase the halo effect around objects, making it easier to detect
frozen ground is hard to dig, and as far as I know it doesn't help detection

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Turn down the sensitivity to 4 bars if you get an iffy signal bump it to 5 and go over the area again but then turn it back to 4 until you get used to the MD. In my area 5 and higher the MD. gives me a lot of false signals.
You need to watch this video on pinpointing it is a great help.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,180388.html

Happy Hunting
Joe

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
just one suggestion...........dig everything that's solid and repeatable and then some that aren't......just a thought

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread