Magic32

Oct 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am looking to purchase my a metal detector to start getting into the hobby after having a few attempts with a friends detector.
I dont have a lot of experience, so I need some advise from experienced users on which unit to purchase to start with.

I have a shortlist of 3 detectors in my budget, a Garrett Ace 250, Minelab go-find 40 or a used Fisher coinstrike (maybe a whites coinmaster if I put my budget a bit). I am going to be looking mainly on beaches, and in forested area in Southern Spain, mainly for interest items, but coins would be an obvious target too. The detectors are ranging in age etc, and im assuming search depths, but reviews are so mixed for all three.

So What would everyones suggestion be? The Minelab is new and easy to use, but maybe underpowered. The fisher is older, and seemingly harder to learn with but much more powerful, and the garrett is somewhere in the middle from what I can tell. The whites coinmaster I dont know anything about) Any suggestions??

All feedback will be really useful in making the right chose to start my new hobby. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! What is your budget, how much can you spend?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Of the ones you've listed, the Fisher Coin Strike sounds most attractive, I'm still swinging my Fisher 1260X I've had for 32 years. Often times I'll pick it up before I pick up the Minelab CTX. I googled the Coin Strike, wasn't familiar with it, good review.

Fisher Coin Strike Metal Detector Reviews

OP
OP
M

Magic32

Oct 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! What is your budget, how much can you spend?

Hi. I'm looking about £100-£150 sterling, so around $200 tops. All four mentioned I can get in that budget, with the Fisher and whites being used.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you check out the Teknetics Eurotek Pro....new it is a little over $200, so definately in your budget used....Also there is a Tesoro Bandido Umax in the classifieds for less than $200....another great machine.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites Coinmaster was the worst machine i have ever owned.....steer clear of that one.

OP
OP
M

Magic32

Oct 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for everyones advise. I will strike the whites off the list.
I think the Fisher is definitely the more complete detector looking at the reviews, but my concerns are about the wear and tear of buying a second hand machine, also given the technology is maybe ten years old, would something newer like the minelab be just as good? I have read that the fisher makes a lot of noise, being a complete novice, is this going to be an issue if I havnt had 200 hours on the detector? Again, all advise happily received.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep it sure will......chatty machines are hard to master and takes a good amount of hours to do so. The pre-upgrade f75's were very chatty and i almost crushed mine a few times....

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am looking to purchase my a metal detector to start getting into the hobby after having a few attempts with a friends detector.
I dont have a lot of experience, so I need some advise from experienced users on which unit to purchase to start with.

I have a shortlist of 3 detectors in my budget, a Garrett Ace 250, Minelab go-find 40 or a used Fisher coinstrike (maybe a whites coinmaster if I put my budget a bit). I am going to be looking mainly on beaches, and in forested area in Southern Spain, mainly for interest items, but coins would be an obvious target too. The detectors are ranging in age etc, and im assuming search depths, but reviews are so mixed for all three.

So What would everyones suggestion be? The Minelab is new and easy to use, but maybe underpowered. The fisher is older, and seemingly harder to learn with but much more powerful, and the garrett is somewhere in the middle from what I can tell. The whites coinmaster I dont know anything about) Any suggestions??

All feedback will be really useful in making the right chose to start my new hobby. Thanks

Magic32
Give me a call I can help you out with all types of detectors
dennis
MetalDetectors.com: Shop for Metal Detectors and Accessories.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with DiggerinVa on this one. The Eurotek Pro is great for the European market, but to make things a little simpler for a new detectorist, the Fisher F22 for the same price has a better offering.

The numeric ID is important, IMO. That takes out the Ace. And you have the full Greek coil selection to choose from, like the EuroPro. Plus the F22 operates on 2 AA batteries, and is weather proof.

Good luck no matter what you choose.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
It's been awhile since I had an entry level detector so I can't really compare all the new entry level detectors, but I would go for a machine that has good recovery speed, and has a pretty good size coil. Also, if you can get aftermarket coils for it so you can make it as versatile as possible. This will ensure your first purchase will last you awhile, and by having those options available, it will be easier to resell if you choose to do so. Good luck with your first purchase.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I carry all brands your looking for, If you need any help or have questions give me a call
dennis

Metal Detectors - Metaldetectors Products

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eurotek I hear gets great reviews and I assume where you are from is set up for your part of the world you might say. BTW- Posting late so what if any did you end up with????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions