✅ SOLVED Brass Pipe Bowl?... Or Not?

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems a little impractical but it really looks like a pipe bowl... did they use such things? There is no stem with it but it seems like it was made to receive one. It was dug at a fort site dating around the end if the 18th century. Can anyone confirm or id this piece? IMG-20150817-WA007.jpg IMG-20150817-WA006.jpg IMG-20150817-WA005.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does look like one, but Lordy that would be uncomfortable to use and a harsh smoke. It would char a reed stem quickly. Maybe the intent was to use a clay pipe-stem?

A puzzle for certain!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe part of a specialized funnel? For loading gun powder?

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Hmm, sure is odd. The only other thing I could think of was a horn elbow to an Edison phonograph (or similar). But the smaller end may be too small for that.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe part of a specialized funnel? For loading gun powder?

In all my books and research into muzzle loading firearms over the past 40 plus years, I've never seen anything gun related that looks like this. My swag is it's a pipe bowl, but that they were never in common use or popular. I say this because if it looks like a duck, chances are it is a duck, unless someone proves otherwise. Back when I was gainfully employed, I worked with a fella that was a blacksmith. He made a one of a kind pot pipe out of damascus steel that he welded himself. So probably most anything is possible, in the 1700's they did a lot of sand casting of brass and bronze. How about a bored gunsmith making himself a pipe that wouldn't break???

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's a form/tool, you pack in the wet clay, form the bowl and make a hole for the stem? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same thing, but it would be next to impossible to get the clay bowl out of the mold without breaking or damaging it.... seems like it would have to be a two piece mold for that to work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE

UPDATE :
WARNING GROSS PHOTOGRAPHS!
Ok so I probably should have done this earlier! It was driving me nuts all day so as soon as I got home from work I cleaned out the bowl which was packed with dirt. Most of the dirt was hard packed sandy stuff but when I was nearing the narrow end at the bottom of the bowl a load of brown/black tar like stuff came out! pretty sure its tobacco (or the remnants of). Also for the first time I could see that there was a plate in the bottom with a small, maybe 1/8" diameter hole in it...
For me this is pretty much a done deal.. its a pipe bowl! Let me know if you agree/disagree or if you've ever seen or heard of one of these before..

Thanks for looking!

IMG_20150817_190009.jpg IMG_20150817_185910.jpg IMG_20150817_185318.jpg
UPDATE:

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like resin to me.
Light some on fire and see what it smells like...

Probably pot :P

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh try its a opium pipe the tar like substance is opium residue ...the brass pipe bowl was meant to heat up to allow the tar like opium ball to heat up and release its fumes ... often they had a wooden reed stem on them ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh try its a opium pipe the tar like substance is opium residue ...the brass pipe bowl was meant to heat up to allow the tar like opium ball to heat up and release its fumes ... often they had a wooden reed stem on them ..

uhhhhhh ... I did not know that...

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
seen modern day opium pipes while overseas in the merchant marines ..the bowls are still made of brass to heat up the gooey tar like opium which is rolled into a ball .... its very very habit forming --the poor souls that use it are often quickly "hooked" on it ...seen it , know about it --smart enough to never even think of trying it ..

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every opium pipe had a brass bowl, a wooden stem, and a brass mouthpiece.

Seems like a very likely ID.

If it was found west of the Rockies, I'd say it is almost a certainty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! So I just stuck my finger into some opium tar... Not sure how to feel about that!

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
this bowl is modeled after a common 1700 /1800 era british clay pipe design ---its large but there is a flat platform area inside at the bowls bottom for the opium tar ball to rest on --it was not packed full , just a small ball --the large size just allows a good bit of fumes to build up in the bowl -- it most likely had a wooden stem that rotted away ...with the copper /bronze /brass metal bowl a opium pipe is almost a sure thing..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread