breaking off piece of large meteorite

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I am about to find perhaps the largest meteorite, at least in Oregon (maybe the West?). Stone was a witnessed fall, and found less than a week later. 22 feet across! Question is, how do I break off a fist-sized chunk of it for analysis? Or better yet, maybe a 100-pound piece so I could at least get something out of it? Do I need to get a demolition expert to the site? Will be difficult to do, as stone is about 3/4 mile from the nearest stream, and about a mile from the nearest road. Suggestions?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck breaking a meteorite People have worn out saws cutting them As a rule they are very hard and dense. The collection at the Museum of Natural history in New York city has very late ones that have many attempts of cutting and drilling visible on their surfaces. There is an exhibit of one that was successfully cut in half and a story of how many hundreds of blades they went through

Good Luck!

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I would at least try a battery powered angle grinder with abrasive disk. Get disk for masonry and steel.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm suggesting you find it first. Here's the Willamette Meteorite, a 15 ton beauty found in 1902. Currently in the American Museum of Natural History in New York. When you "find" it, it will be only the 7th meteorite found in Oregon. willamette-meteorite-photo-credit.jpg

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s more valuable as a whole [emoji6]
If it’s 22’ across you’re looking at tons of material. Is it from the daytime flyover about a month ago?

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look around, there might be smaller pieces near by.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am about to find perhaps the largest meteorite, at least in Oregon (maybe the West?). Stone was a witnessed fall, and found less than a week later. 22 feet across! Question is, how do I break off a fist-sized chunk of it for analysis? Or better yet, maybe a 100-pound piece so I could at least get something out of it? Do I need to get a demolition expert to the site? Will be difficult to do, as stone is about 3/4 mile from the nearest stream, and about a mile from the nearest road. Suggestions?
like Kray Gelder stated, find it first, however be careful, there was a big one found in the Old Woman mountains of California, worth a small fortune, but the Govt. stole it from the guy who found it, with no compensation.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Actually the stone fell 2 centuries ago (1800's). Was witnessed, and found a week later. Pioneers dug down to it, and found a "mass of molten iron, similar to something from an iron smelter". Stone is visible from the air. Next time I go down, I will take a helicopter ride to find it. Or just hack through the rainforest to where it is.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's on government land...well, just look into it.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Now on federal land. But I think the Feds will offer a reward for finding it. If not, it has stayed there this long.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start crackin please send me a piece. Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member