Brinks box rolls all had slits down side

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Picked up a couple of Brinks boxes from the bank. One had all rolls with slits down the side, where some CRHer checked them all and returned them back. I cannot believe Brinks would resell these in such condition. I know for sure the local bank where I got them did not sell them from another customer. They order me boxes each week and have a coin counter, so any they get in have to be torn out and put through the machine.

I did find one 40% the lazy a$$ CRHer missed (I say lazy because he or she obviously doesn't feel like rolling them all by hand after going through them), because it was on the end and without actually tearing the roll open you could not see the rim very well. I hope whoever turned in such coins will get some of his own boxes back in such condition.

I guess I cannot blame the CRHer though because it should be Brinks who rips these all open and puts them through the rolling machine. There is no way they could count if each roll was complete or not. I spot checked about 20 rolls or so and they all looked to be the right count. Hope I don't get anymore of these. I have had many Brinks boxes so far and have never seen this.

I think I saw on here a while back where someone else got such a box. I know that another forum member has gotten rolls that were opened and tucked back under. I have not seen any of those through Brinks so far.

Jim

Upvote 0

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I have never seen the slit down the side crapola. That sucks big time. I am glad you got a 40%er, out here that is actually considered a good box. keep the faith...Ryan

Jun 23, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
i'm not sure if this was suggested in previous posts related to this topic, but i would suggest instead of re-wrapping rolls you just bag them.

i dont know if all banks offer this service, but basically you can return unwrapped halves in tamper proof bags... i think they're called coin lok bags, or something of that nature. banks sometime provide the bags as a service, and i would suggest picking up the tamper proof bags from a bank that is nieither your pickup bank nor dump bank....

Some banks differ on the amount that they'll accept, typically 500$ or 1000$ in a bag... they typically credit your account send the bag to the fed to be counted and presumably re-rolled. if you're short, they deduct it from your account.

I'm not sure if bank policies will change if many non-merchant customers start depositing 1000$ bags of halves, but i suspect it's easier on the bank as the bags are immediately shipped to the fed as opposed to collecting dust in the vault... and those bags are never sold to other customers, so no one will be unfortunate enough to be looking through your dumps...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, slit rolls. Sign of the times. My CU accepts bagged coin. I've turned in Thousands worth of dimes in plastic bags I fill at home. CU takes them THEN locks the bag. I've never been informed of a deficit or credit on a $500 bag.

AMC

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
All the banks I go to send their coins in to Brinks in the heavy plastic bags ($1000 face) that they get from their coin machine or from hand rolls brought in (the branches that don't have coin machines). I believe that Brinks simply re-rolls these and they go out in boxes to CRHers. How a whole box of split rolled coins got from the bank to the Brinks facility is beyond me.

I don't know this for sure, but I think here one Brinks facility handles all the rolling and processing for quite a large area. Thus there is a high volume of coins coming in and going out. I have had boxes loaded with marked coins also containing lots of silver. So the CRHer rejects get mixed with good coins somebody deposited at their local bank. I have never had a bank try to sell me "bags" of halves, except when I have been lucky enough to get them to sell me what was in their coin counting machine.

Here I think banks use the term "fed" synonymously with their local coin courier. Many coin courier websites mention that they count, sort and roll coins, etc. Some mention that their facility is an approved federal reserve depository, or something to that effect. So I think the fed reserve outsources all the hands on stuff with respect to the coin processing.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Here is my appeal to the dirty B@$*@&!$ that do this. But it is really Brinks job to verify the coins that are returned to them. All I ask from CRH's is you just have to make them unusable by tagging the rolls. Mark the roll up and down with a big black marker. They would be out of their mind to repackage them.

Here is my post.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165025.0.html

Mojo

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
I don't see why anyone would be angry with the CRHer himself...whoever it was found an efficient way to check the rolls without having to request hundreds of new wrappers to roll the halves in or dispose of the big pile of paper from the one-time rolls etc. The lazy ass is whoever let the box go back to the bank in that condition. I don't really think ANY of us think about how other CRHers will recieve our dumps and in what condition anyway. In fact, WE are the real butt-whipes if there had to be any since Brinks doesn't package halves and send them out to banks just so people can tear em apart to look for silver and dump them back so they can be sent back to be packaged again. I totally understand how getting a slit box can piss you off, I know I would be pissed, but really the box is not meant to be a silver treasure chest, just a way of getting halves to the bank and the count was right after all.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Treasure-Slut said:
I don't see why anyone would be angry with the CRHer himself...whoever it was found an efficient way to check the rolls without having to request hundreds of new wrappers to roll the halves in or dispose of the big pile of paper from the one-time rolls etc. The lazy ass is whoever let the box go back to the bank in that condition. I don't really think ANY of us think about how other CRHers will recieve our dumps and in what condition anyway. In fact, WE are the real butt-whipes if there had to be any since Brinks doesn't package halves and send them out to banks just so people can tear em apart to look for silver and dump them back so they can be sent back to be packaged again. I totally understand how getting a slit box can piss you off, I know I would be pissed, but really the box is not meant to be a silver treasure chest, just a way of getting halves to the bank and the count was right after all.

There is no way they can verify the number of halves in a box like that. You think someone who works there actually counted each coin in the slit rolls? I dont know for sure if they did or not, but I doubt it.

Jim

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
If the rolls are still sealed at both ends and there are only slits down the side then how could any coins be taken out of the rolls? Seems pretty easy to verify that they are all there unless I'm missing something...

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Were they taped up the sides? I got a couple of boxes of those, and some of them had halves whose sides were painted silver...that was quite a downer...

Oh well, to each his or her own... I am guessing that someone at least got some real silver out of those boxes.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Treasure-Slut said:
If the rolls are still sealed at both ends and there are only slits down the side then how could any coins be taken out of the rolls? Seems pretty easy to verify that they are all there unless I'm missing something...

You are missing the point. Brinks is in a SERVICE business which is what they get paid for, and are fully automated. the coins usually come back in bags. They simply dump them into a hopper to count and re roll. The service they provide and pride themselves on, is accuracy

If the bank gets a box back like this from a slitter or re roller and it looks like a Brinks wrapped roll they will send it back in that condition. Cause they believe they could get away with it.

Brinks now faced with this apparent untouched box other than the seal being broken wont waste the time to unwrap them and dump into a hopper for re rolling, will MOST LIKELY just transfer the rolls to another box and seal it. and ship it out.

Wasting my time and YOUR TIME, and also putting me at risk cause most likely the count will be off with no chance of silver in it. OK the guy let 1 slip buy in this instance, but you are not gonna find 10 to 20 keepers in a box like this. and Brinks skirted it's job / service.

I only hope the guy that does this will get his own dumps back.

Me buying a box like this cost me time and money. It's like buying a used Lottery Ticket. OR SOMEONE PISSING ON YOUR FEED PILE..........

The other aspect is that this type of activity will end up causing people to complane to the Bank, and the Bank to Brinks, which will come back to the bank in the form of higher fees to cover their burden and the banks will PASS the FEES onto US. OR REFUSE TO PROVIDE US THIS SERVICE AT ALL.

IF YOU ARE NOT WITH US ON THIS, OR CAN'T SEE IT THIS WAY THAN YOU ARE NOT A COIN ROLL HUNTER.

More evidence. Another post with rerolled coins.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165641.0.html

UCRHA. PEACE. MOJO

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
Treasure-Slut said:

You are missing the point. Brinks is in a SERVICE business which is what they get paid for, and are fully automated. the coins usually come back in bags. They simply dump them into a hopper to count and re roll. The service they provide and pride themselves on, is accuracy

If the bank gets a box back like this from a slitter or re roller and it looks like a Brinks wrapped roll they will send it back in that condition. Cause they believe they could get away with it.

Brinks now faced with this apparent untouched box other than the seal being broken wont waste the time to unwrap them and dump into a hopper for re rolling, will MOST LIKELY just transfer the rolls to another box and seal it. and ship it out.

Wasting my time and YOUR TIME, and also putting me at risk cause most likely the count will be off with no chance of silver in it. OK the guy let 1 slip buy in this instance, but you are not gonna find 10 to 20 keepers in a box like this. and Brinks skirted it's job / service.

Me buying a box like this cost me time and money. It's like buying a used Lottery Ticket. OR SOMEONE PISSING ON YOUR FEED PILE..........

The other aspect is that this type of activity will end up causing people to complane to the Bank, and the Bank to Brinks, which will come back to the bank in the form of higher fees to cover their burden and the banks will PASS the FEES onto US. OR REFUSE TO PROVIDE US THIS SERVICE AT ALL.

IF YOU ARE NOT WITH US ON THIS, OR CAN'T SEE IT THIS WAY THAN YOU ARE NOT A COIN ROLL HUNTER.

UCRHA. PEACE. MOJO

Very well articulated Mojo. :thumbsup:

Jim

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
coinmojo said:
Treasure-Slut said:

UCRHA. PEACE. MOJO

Brinks may be negligent in other cases so I wouldn't defend them sending out "used" boxes no matter what. However I didn't miss any points in this matter, you just brought up the same issues I did and injected your own opinion into it. My prestigious status as a coin roll hunter should not be in jeopardy because I don't neccesarily think its a big deal for brinks to send out slit boxes. Like I said, if the ends are sealed and only slits are made down the sides of the rolls, then there would be no way to pull out any coins and the count would remain correct. It could even be verified by sight. Like I said before, brinks provides a service yes, but it is to the banks or businesses that simply want half dollars in the amount they ordered them and apparently in this case that is the service that was provided. Brinks or the banks do not provide silver searching services just for us. Obviously I wish things would always be in a CRHer favor or more specifically in MY favor but when it comes to a matter of principle, then I do not see a true reason to get angry at Brinks aside from just an inner anger of getting jipped out of silver for the week. Sucks I know and I'm not saying don't talk about it and say your pissed, but I just notice alot of finger pointing.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have missed it in all the replies, but no one mentioned the brinks guards.

The box may have left the Brinks vault intact. One of the guards may have searched them during his route. If he found any he could have had a few clad in his pocket to replace any he found.

Just a theory. :-\

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
cyberdan said:
I may have missed it in all the replies, but no one mentioned the brinks guards.

The box may have left the Brinks vault intact. One of the guards may have searched them during his route. If he found any he could have had a few clad in his pocket to replace any he found.

Could have happened that way maybe????

[/quote]

Like I said, if the ends are sealed and only slits are made down the sides of the rolls, then there would be no way to pull out any coins and the count would remain correct.
[/quote]

Not true, the rolls were sealed at the ends but the nature of the slit allowed coins to be removed (from the center portion more easily, maybe not from the ends). A couple of the rolls not only were slit but also had tape around an end (I guess where the CRHer removed silver).

Jim

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
jim4silver said:
cyberdan said:

Could have happened that way maybe????

Like I said, if the ends are sealed and only slits are made down the sides of the rolls, then there would be no way to pull out any coins and the count would remain correct.
[/quote]

Not true, the rolls were sealed at the ends but the nature of the slit allowed coins to be removed (from the center portion more easily, maybe not from the ends). A couple of the rolls not only were slit but also had tape around an end (I guess where the CRHer removed silver).

Jim
[/quote]

Ok, then thats a different story. They still may have counted them to make sure anyway but who knows =P

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
cyberdan said:

The Brinks searched rolls I've been getting come from new, sealed boxes.

I bet you Brinks is reading this thread and laughing their a$$ off.
What a great way to discourage CRHr's.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Tweren't mine.....

But I have, in the past, had rolls that were slit. And I HAVE slit clear plastic rolls to pull the silver. It ain't hard if'n one has a lil' bit of hand/eye cordination......

Still a sucky box.

Dump it, an' get a 'nother 'un......

Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread