British sloop

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
Hello, I'm new here and have some questions about a shipwreck that we stumbled across. We believe the wreck to be a british warship(sloop) from the late 1700's.(according to local legend) What type of valuables did british warships carry? How can I possitively ID this wreck? Whats the best way to clean up old cannon balls? How do you find out the history of old british ships( a lesser known one)?

Cablava

May 24, 2005
A sloop was the largest fighting vessel commanded by an officer of lower rank than a captain and carried less than 20 guns. In the 17th century sloops had three masts but early in the 18th century, sloops were two-masted with 8?14 guns. The guns would probably have been iron, though there was occasionally a bronze gun or two but was not the norm.

As for valuable artifacts, well everything has a value, but if you are looking for high value items then you would need to know the name of the ship where it was going what had it done previously. Maybe it was taking loot back for the Queen, more probably she was really a privateer in which case she may have taken some ships previously and was carrying treasure. How did she sink was she abandoned, sunk in a battle? etc

But the sum total is you need to research the ship now to find the story and maybe provenance.

As for the cannon balls I am sure someone will chip and let you know the best way. Incidentally what diameter are they, from that you can asses the caliber of the guns (there would be more than one caliber on board).

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Sorry got that the wrong way round, they had two masts in the 17th century and around the mid 18th century they has three. Lots of these ships were built for the Napoleonic Wars.

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
Sank in a storm, less than 50 feet of water near shore. I don't know the actual diameter of the cannon balls as they are encrusted pretty heavily. I would guess they are about 6 inches in diameter. I have not brought any up until I know what to do with them. It sank at the end of the Revolutionary war. I know there were survivors of the shipwreck, according to local legend. Did these warships carry any currency for supplies and such? Would it be worth getting a underwater metal detector? After 225 years there is no wood left but LOTS of cannonballs. I just don't know if I should keep looking for other valuables, as it is kinda hard to get there, and pretty BAD diving conditions. LOTs of current, low vis, and cold water!

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
bell47,
Tell me you aren't diving alone in these conditions! I don't care what is there, your life is worth more!
I just want to re-emphasize what has already been said. Do your research, know what you're diving for. Then I would add, PLAN YOUR DIVE! DIVE YOUR PLAN!
(Hey, that sounds familiar.)

grizzly bare

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I'm not diving alone. No bottles yet. I'm planning on going there again this summer. I'm just trying to get info right now.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bell 47

Bell, if your target is in British waters--and it's British--the best source I've found is with the archivists at National Maritime Museum located in Kew Gardens, though those still at the 'remnant' repository in London may add additional knowledge to your research.
If the vessel is truly one of the Crown's, a ton of info should be available. Another source would be the British Library and include a visit to their map room of naval charts.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread