Broke into the 1600s with a silver, or 2?...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been busy all week but managed a few hours here and there. Had an unexpected business trip to the north of Frankfurt Germany, Roman and Celtic country there so I took the detector with. Detected a field for about 2 hours but only found an 1876 copper 2 Pfennig coin, I will be there all next week as well so should get some good detecting time in. Back home I detected a field that has produced my oldest German coins, oldest being from the 1300s. Got about 2.5 hours on it, the first hour was painfully slow with just a few pieces of trash. I pounded that area last year and did well. After the first hour things picked up with a few nice finds, little trash and 9 Ox shoes. Here is some of the better finds: Obverse from 4 of 9 coins found, top an 1851 copper 1 Kreuzer, an 1876 copper 2 Pfennig, bottom a 1924 brass aluminum 10 Rentepfennig and a 1925 brass aluminum 10 Reichspfennig.
21Apr06coinsO.jpg

Reverse of the coins.
21Apr06coinsR.jpg

A few interesting relics, top left a watch winder, a small battle ax that is a pin and the pin is still intact, an old thimble maybe 1700s, a button with what looks like a water buffalo and an alligator, a small piece of lead that would have been attached to a lead seal possibly the lead seal beside it with the initials LS and a musket ball.
21Apr06relics.jpg

A friend on another forum has IDed the battle axe. I understand it is an award given here in Germany in 1940 for Winter work. An interesting piece of history, I would have know idea had I not found it. Example picture (borrowed) of the battle ax, mine is second from the left.
13545.jpg

Obverse of a possible late 1600s silver coin, on the legend from 0900 to 1400 are the words MONETA ARGENT, I have a 1675 2/3 silver Thaler with those words on it. Too bad the coin is in poor condition.
21Apr061600O.jpg

Reverse of the silver, I’ll try to post what I can read of the legend later, it’s very hard to read.
21Apr061600R.jpg

Obverse of a nice little 1699 silver coin from Kaiser Leopold I in fair condition, the size of a Dime. This field has been really good to me!
21Apr061699O.jpg

Reverse of the 1699, date is at the 1100 and 1400 positions. Thanks for looking and HH, Mike
21Apr061699R.jpg

Upvote 0
S

southbound

Amazing Mike!!!!! You allways seem to make the best finds! I will be going out tomorrow for a while.
Looking forward to getting togeather again soon.
Vern

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great! Wish I could join you and you could come here and do some hunting together! Anyway, good luck and keep the pictures coming! Later

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
Hello Mike !

I must say : great finds + great pictures = GREAT POST. Again ! :D :D

Well done and please, keep them coming... 8)

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the amazing finds mike!! you always find the coolest stuff

HH

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great comments all! Hope to be in Celtic/Roman territory tomorrow. HH, Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very intresting Finds Mike.

HAPPY HUNTING.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Mike!! I am still looking for some nice 1600s or 1700s coins. Not much luck in the fields that I have been hitting. I have my eye on some old sites I just have to find the time. Mike have you ever been to a village called Zell? Two big castels overlooking the town. I did not have my detector with me.(anniversary weekend) . Lots of grassy fields all over the place. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread