Broke into the 19th Century today...my oldest coin

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Muskegon, Michigan is situated on the southern edge of Muskegon Lake, which is an inland lake at the mouth of the Muskegon river. In the early to mid 1800's the city was established by the lumber mill business. The mills would float the lumber down the river to Muskegon Lake where it would be milled. Muskegon Lake is adjacent to Lake Michigan via a deep water channel. After the lumber was milled it was put on ships and distributed to the country via Chicago, Milwaukee and Gary, Indiana.

One of these lumber Barrons was Charles Hamilton who founded his lumber mill on the shores of Muskegon Lake in the mid 1850's. In 1866 he built his home on Clay St. It turns out that I know the owner of that home in the historic district and yesterday I asked if I could hunt that site. He readilly agreed and this morning I did.

I didn't find too much; 4 pennies to be exact...2 Memorials, a 1925 "wheatie" and this exquisite 1865 Indian Head in remarkable condition. I'd like to think that it was dropped by one of the carpenters who built this House so long ago

HH
MichiganRob

Attachments

• 1865IndianObverse.jpg
    1865IndianObverse.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 1865IndianReverse.jpg
    1865IndianReverse.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: Great story, and great digs. Keep em comin. :icon_pirat:

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Not only 19th century but Civil War era too.NICE COIN. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to find an indian head penny, it may as well be one from the Civil War era. Good job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you achieved my goal, but with a average of only 1 coin a year below the teens.......I don't think I'll make it anytime soon.......

good find

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that thing is in nice shape. WTG Rob :thumbsup:

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Way to go Rob. Those big ole houses near downtown have got to be hiding lots of old coins! It is really great that you know a guy that owns one of them. When I drive through there I look at some of those mansions and drool when I think of the treasure just waiting to be found! See if your friend can get you permission to hunt some of the other ones around there. Congrats!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Thats a great background story and the IH rocks! ya gotta love seen that in the ol' hole! Maybe some of the nieghbors around that house would like to have their yards detected? its worth a shot. Keep up the ggod work bud :thumbsup:

HH
Slipperyjack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread