Broke or may or may not be working detectors?

MightyMouse

Sep 6, 2009
Weeki Wachee, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro
I was wondering what others feel about this. I have found a few posts on ebay for broken or may or may not work detectors. Theres bids going on for them with bidding starting as low as 10.00. I know that some folks sorta jump into the hobby with out knowing much and if their machine starts acting up or they think it is or a wire has come loose or batt. needs replaced and they dont know it could be an easy fix. So how many would bid on something like this knowing theres a good chance theres no fix and it is indeed broke? and if your only going to be spending 20.00 on a machine that new would run 700 and there is a slim chance to fix would you bid? I have been bidding on them but sorta having 2nd thoughts on if i should be or not lol. Chime in folks.. thanks

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid. I do buy a few broken detectors just to have back up parts for the same model I already own that can no longer be repaired. There's one of Eric Fosters good but very old pulse machines that appears on the British E-Bay quite often. Now Eric was always very good at repairing his older, not in production models, winding new coils etc but he's now in the situation that he can't buy the parts need to repair some models and there's no easy work round. If the designer/builder of a detector can't fix it then who can ?

A new slant on the question is that some of the major manufacturers will not look at a detector over ten years old. Won't even look so the fault could just be a broken wire that you would spot in an instant. You could get a bargain in this way but its all down to luck. Those without electronics experience face a major risk.

Coldshot

Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think buying a used detector is a bad idea to begin with exception as stated above...for part's only....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UK Brian did raise some interesting points regarding their fix-ability. Overall, I think you should avoid anything broken, not working.. Besides, that broken machine may come in a 1000 pieces and would be hell to reassemble without instructions. :laughing7:

I'll also assume they are selling it because they can't do anything with it either :p

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could pick a few of the same model, then you might be able to build one good one. But that maybe take some serious electronics skills or maybe just a broken wire. If you have the money, time, skill then go for it.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your an electrical genius and can easily find and fix the problem then go for it otherwise buy a new one with a warranty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread