Broke points..

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Brokes" have the exact same provenance as complete points.

Unless your in the (what I deem) provocative business of "grading" and selling, it shouldn't matter. The historical value is there.

Broke or intact, the last people who laid hands on that artifact helped shape the world you live in today.

I actually view "brokes" as MORE interesting... HOW did it became broken? Did it break impacting another person? Did Spanish cattle step on it? Did MY cattle step on it? Did it break upon impacting an animal that was supper?

We found numerous broken points in the -direct- vicinity of the Mastodon remains we found on the ranch... I like to wonder how many people it may have taken to run down and finish off such a mammal with such primitive tools.

The broken points will teach you a lot about the site you're on, and in turn will lead you to more sites.

My family has worked closely with several high-profile universities a few times in the past, and the above posting carries a lot of true information - The complete points look great in a display... But the broken ones tell you how they were utilized and are the main focus of academic professionals.

If you don't want to keep them, donate them to your county/city museum or university... Or leave them laying for another to find. Just don't dismiss them so quickly as undesirable, or "worthless".

For Me:

"Brokes" I find go in clear glass vases. Each vase is catalogued to the specific midden/plot/kill site/etc. Each vase also has an accompanying ledger book that documents dates, times, recent weather, and GPS coordinates.

Each vase then serves as a bookend on the bookshelves that contain my "Texas/Civil War/Indian War/Indian Artifacts" home library.

Below are the contents of the last vase I put together back in December... These are all the "brokes" my wife and found in a single 8 hour hunt on the ranch.

Attachments

• image-560775976.png
    image-560775976.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is mostly there I will keep it. If you cant even tell if it is a tip or base but shows work I will leave it.

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Tejaas . I keep everything I find,it's hard for me to let them go:dontknow:..I have old 1800's mason jar I'm going to put them in..The site/plowed nursery field ,I'm working on now pretty sure is a camp site.Its on about 154 acres but only in this small area I am finding everything knives,scrapers,points, etc etc ,more broke points then complete.. You say the broke points will teach me about the site,lead me to more sites on the same 154 acre? My next step would be the wooded areas.. Right next to the camp site off in the woods it slopes down to a fresh water spring ! I want to start digging but were to start is my problem. I'm thinking if the spring is right down from the camp site then the good stuff may be in the middle leading up to the camp site .your thoughts ? Thanks :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread