Broken Flintlock Pistol Barrel, 1810 Large Cent, Relics- A short yet productive hunt

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been quite busy lately which has resulted in not getting out detecting very much. Yesterday, however, I was able to get out detecting on some land that my friend in town who is interested in getting into metal detecting got permission for us to search. I let him use my old Bounty Hunter that I used when I first started. He had a blast metal detecting and I think I got him hooked on it. He really enjoyed looking for signals, and I would help him to look for the target once he found a signal as I only have 1 pinpointer. We were only out for around 2 hours and we ended up finding some cool stuff.

We started off in his yard. The house he rents was built in the 1950's but built on an homesite that dates back to the 1800's. This interesting relic was one of the first things we found

coolrelic.jpg
Any Ideas what this might be?

We also found this awesome 1810 classic head large cent. I decided to use some water on it since the patina underneath the corrosion looked stable enough.

1810largecent.jpg
After the Largie we found a couple of zinc pennies and 1 wheat penny, but then things started to slow down. So then we decided to go to an old cellar hole in the woods behind his house. We got there and I dug a nice little mid-1800s ball button right off the bat. My friend got a really strong signal and I went over to help him dig the signal. After a few shovel fulls of dirt, this came out

freshlydugpistolbarrel.JPG
At first I didn't know what it was but after a few seconds of turning it over in my hand I realized it was the broken barrel of a flintlock pistol! I still can't believe what a stroke of luck it was to find this!

Here are a couple more pictures after I cleaned it up
brasspistolbarrel.JPG
sidepistolbarrel.JPG
pistolbarrelmarks.JPG
pistolbarrelbottom.JPG
endofgunbarrel.JPG
I used a set of calipers to determine that it is 65 caliber. It is made of brass, which was surprisingly not uncommon for pistol barrels in the time period. I showed it today to very knowledgeable Revolutionary War re-enactor who builds reproduction flintlocks for a living and he told me that two of the 3 marks on the side of the barrel were common British marks from the late 1700's to early 1800's time period. He said that he looked through his London gun makers book and could't find an "IF" and crown mark, but that it could have been made in a city such as Birmingham, England. So we are still on the lookout for the maker of this pistol!

Thanks for reading,
Good luck/happy hunt
VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 15

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it silver. Weird to find it in a yard where an 1800s home stood. Pomanders fell out of use by the late 18th century in favor of the vinaigrette. Anything’s possible. I found mine on an early site but it to had later activity. Rare find indeed if it is though. Congrats

It is made of brass with some gold plating. I'll get around to posting a picture of the top of it, from what I've seen pomanders had a hinge so they could be opened, whereas the thing I found does not.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is made of brass with some gold plating. I'll get around to posting a picture of the top of it, from what I've seen pomanders had a hinge so they could be opened, whereas the thing I found does not.

That and the fact that its not precious metal makes me think its modern. Pomanders would of held a solid perfume often of substantial value so they would have opened somehow and would have probably been made of precious metal being the status symbol that it was.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proof marks on the gun might be a JF as they used 'I's for J's in those days.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, very nice stuff!!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pistol barrel is really neat and especially that it has a makers mark on it. Congrats to your friend!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How's big is the cage like item? Looks similar to a Victorian earring I found if it's small enough

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread