broken history

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi JrWill, its really easy actually, all these broken bits that you have been seeing all belonged to something bigger, but they have gone past the point of Fragile. :o :P ;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Jrwill, pottery breaks easily, from people walking on it, to being burried for a while.
Metal is a little tougher but what kind of site are you hunting?

Maybe it was discarded because it was damaged, maybe someone ran a mower over it or worse, a bulldozer.

I've seen people drive places they have no place being in a vehicle....more damage.

I dug up a '65 Kennedy half with a real nice bend in it....who knows how...probably a mower I'm guessing.

Bored kids with nothing better to do can be pretty destructive too...look at the vandalism at cemetaries and playgrounds.

Hard to say why things get mashed...but heck...your finding stuff...keep at it...something whole is bound to be there somewhere.

Al

P

pippinwhitepaws

are there cows in the area? they are destructive to some sites...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
depends on where you're hunting (the type site).

Normally, when I find stuff like that, I consider it "woulda-coulda's" that I'm in the right strata of human influence/losses. You know, like indicators that tell me that "an old coin can be next". But if I start finding REAMS of that stuff and NOTHING good, it tells me I'm in a scattered out trash pit. Ie.: purposefully dumped stuff (like an outhouse pit that got brought up and scattered around, or a trash-burn zone in a back-yard, etc...), as opposed to fumble fingers zone stuff. In those cases, I leave for greener grounds.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
As Tom indicates, is it burnt or just broken? Years of plow work can do the same. Sounds like a spot with some potential coinage. Or is that coinage potential?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Past owner of the property may have had an anger management issue....

OP
OP
jrwill56

jrwill56

Nov 1, 2008
Chowan Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lowbatts said:
As Tom indicates, is it burnt or just broken? Years of plow work can do the same. Sounds like a spot with some potential coinage. Or is that coinage potential?
found a 1786 Conn. COPPER AT THIS SITE,AND SEVERAL BRASS BUTTIONS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread