Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What should of been about an 8 hour hunt, ended up as about a 4 hour hunt. I slept in. Shame on me. ;D
My third trip to new new plantation spot turned up a few things, but nothing fantastic yet. I started out by the old tenant (slave) house in the woods. All that is left are a deep sunken hole, foundation stones, and a crumbled chimney (pictured). Also pictured are one of the huge oaks by this tenant house, and a deep open well. This all sits very close to a deep dry river bed. There is a LOT of metal and old jars/bottles around this area. I will have to spend a lot of time around there later.
After about 30 minutes, I went back in front of the main plantation house and spent the rest of my day gridding off 1/2 of the front yard. My only coins found on this side were wheats so far. (My Buff nickel & Barber dime I found earlier this week were found on the other half of the yard)
My regular machine with the DD web coil should be back from the shop this week, so hopefully I can start hitting some more silver when I get it back. I'm using a new Silver Umax with stock 8" coil so far.
My coolest find for the day was an old watch FOB.
Here's my 4 hour hunt:

*Watch FOB- Says "Bro-Mal-Gine for headaches. Does not depress the heart."
Any idea on the age of this one?

*Wheats- 1915D , 1917 , 1936 , 1937 , 1941 , 1946 , 1958.

*Found by tenant house in woods: Truck gas cap , Tootsietoy , Green bottle, Large wagon or horse equip piece.
Any idea what the wagon/horse piece is? Age?
Any idea on the green bottle? It only says "4/5 Pint" on it.

*Brass "Royal" padlock.

*Gold plated jewelry pin piece.

*Odds & ends.

Thanks for looking & any help on the ID's would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,120
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,123
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,116
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,107
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,109
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • DSCN3212.JPG
    DSCN3212.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • DSCN3213.JPG
    DSCN3213.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCN3214.JPG
    DSCN3214.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Upvote 0

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sleepy Gets a FOB + other goodies

Neat fob and wheaties, MM. Love the green glass. Does it have a screw top? Can't wait to see what else you turn up at the plantation.

Better pics today....back to your dinosaur camera? ;)

HH

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Great fob! My guess, based on the little information that I was able to find concerning the product, is that it dates from around 1910-15— maybe a little later, due to "Does Not Depress the Heart" on the reverse. The center piece is probably celluloid. Here's some info about Bro-Mal-Gine:

Bromalgine (also known as Bro-Mal-Gine, or Kenealy's Bromalgine) was a patent medicine headache remedy produced by William P. Kenealy of Washington, DC in the early 1900's. It was labeled, "A Brain Soother. Alcohol 25%. Headache, Neuralgia, Nervousness, and Brain Fatigue . . . Positively contains no Opium, Morphine, Cocaine, Chloral, or other injurious drugs."

However, the following statement was issued in 1914 by the Health Officer of the District of Columbia:

"Bromalgine.—A sample of this drug was submitted for analysis because it was suspected to contain some narcotic, such as opium, morphine, etc. On analysis it was found to contain sodium bromide, caffeine, antipyrin, and about 25 per cent of alcohol. As the label stated that it contained no injurious drugs, a recommendation that prosecution be instituted was made because of the presence of antipyrin in the preparation. Antipyrin is a powerful heart depressant and is certainly injurious when improperly used or when administered in unsuitable cases."

As a result, a court found Kenealy guilty of mislabeling his product, and he was fined... $10!

Almost any nice patent medicine fob from that period is worth at least $50, and some go for much more.

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Looks like great site with some good things to be found.The green bottle looks like a Ripple beverage bottle.(cheap wine from the early 70s)
HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michiganne said:
Neat fob and wheaties, MM. Love the green glass. Does it have a screw top? Can't wait to see what else you turn up at the plantation.

Better pics today....back to your dinosaur camera? ;)
HH

Thanks Michiganne.
Yep, on the screw top.
Yep, on the dinosaur camera. Could you tell? ;D

I see you are from SW Michigan. I am originally from LaPorte, Ind. We used to go across the Mich. line about 20 minutes away to buy our beer because the drinking age back then was 18. Ahhhhh, the good ol' days. ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK said:
Great fob! My guess, based on the little information that I was able to find concerning the product, is that it dates from around 1910-15— maybe a little later, due to "Does Not Depress the Heart" on the reverse. The center piece is probably celluloid. Here's some info about Bro-Mal-Gine:

Bromalgine (also known as Bro-Mal-Gine, or Kenealy's Bromalgine) was a patent medicine headache remedy produced by William P. Kenealy of Washington, DC in the early 1900's. It was labeled, "A Brain Soother. Alcohol 25%. Headache, Neuralgia, Nervousness, and Brain Fatigue . . . Positively contains no Opium, Morphine, Cocaine, Chloral, or other injurious drugs."

However, the following statement was issued in 1914 by the Health Officer of the District of Columbia:

"Bromalgine.—A sample of this drug was submitted for analysis because it was suspected to contain some narcotic, such as opium, morphine, etc. On analysis it was found to contain sodium bromide, caffeine, antipyrin, and about 25 per cent of alcohol. As the label stated that it contained no injurious drugs, a recommendation that prosecution be instituted was made because of the presence of antipyrin in the preparation. Antipyrin is a powerful heart depressant and is certainly injurious when improperly used or when administered in unsuitable cases."

As a result, a court found Kenealy guilty of mislabeling his product, and he was fined... $10!

Almost any nice patent medicine fob from that period is worth at least $50, and some go for much more.

Holy smokes!!! (no pun intented) Thanks PBK. Awesome info on the FOB. Sounds like a somewhat rare one. I guess this find was BETTER than a silver Barber. ;D I'm glad it still had the colorful center piece still on it. This is only my 2nd FOB find ever. This one may have to stay in my collection. I've given the owners everything else I've found so far, so this is my cut. ;)
Thanks again,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bradgny said:
Looks like great site with some good things to be found.The green bottle looks like a Ripple beverage bottle.(cheap wine from the early 70s)
HH

Thanks for the ID Bradgny. That sounds about right. This old tenant shack is right by a RR tracks. The owners tore it down because they were having a problem with people back there drinking. That would explain the old beer cans, and potted meat cans I found too. ;D
-MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I was hoping your name was "Droopy".....Pocket's full of silver :o $10 fine.....good ole day's.Congrat's on the fob Doug,nice snag.It's amazing what people who don't detect will pay for thing's.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
I was hoping your name was "Droopy".....Pocket's full of silver :o $10 fine.....good ole day's.Congrat's on the fob Doug,nice snag.It's amazing what people who don't detect will pay for thing's.

Thanks Civil. I actually like finding these out of the ordinary type relics over old coins.
-MM-

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey.... nice wheats..... and nice dates on the wheats..
Promise of good things to come. I'm thinking you're about due for some gold (like in coin).

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

A decent hunt Doug. I know you were hoping for a silver or two but like you say those unique things are much better than that common silver. :) I don't think I have found many fobs. That is an older one two.

I also like that old car. My car collection is lacking those type.

How deep were the wheat pennies? What's the likelyhood of there being stuff that is deeper than your detector is getting?

Bob

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster

Hey MM, Nice batch of finds! I think the irons with a ring, are a piece of
old oxen tack. They were attached to the rigging with the ring at a central
point, so the oxen could not separate any further than the length of the irons.

HH Slabman

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I liked it all.
Keep the pics coming.
Awsome FOB.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

doug, your walking on a gold mine... I am watching this thread YOU lucky lucky dog.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwsnc said:
Hey.... nice wheats..... and nice dates on the wheats..
Promise of good things to come. I'm thinking you're about due for some gold (like in coin).

Thanks Bob. I think you're right. I would LOVE to find a gold coin. That would be a find of a lifetime for me.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
A decent hunt Doug. I know you were hoping for a silver or two but like you say those unique things are much better than that common silver. :) I don't think I have found many fobs. That is an older one two.

I also like that old car. My car collection is lacking those type.

How deep were the wheat pennies? What's the likelyhood of there being stuff that is deeper than your detector is getting?Bob

Bob,
The wheats haven't been deep at all. My detector has screamed when it hit them. Some were no more than a few inches deep. I'm not used to this stock coil Umax, and haven't even been digging many of the iffy signals. I'm waiting for my old faithful Tesoro to come back. I'm SURE there are going to be more silver to be had. I'd love to find a decent LC too. And I've never even found a SLQ in my hunting career yet. :'(
Don't laugh. ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slabman said:
Hey MM, Nice batch of finds! I think the irons with a ring, are a piece of
old oxen tack. They were attached to the rigging with the ring at a central
point, so the oxen could not separate any further than the length of the irons.
HH Slabman

Thanks for the ID Slabman. I figured they were for some heavy duty purpose. I'll try them out on my wife tonight. ;D ;)
Just kidding, of course.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bootybay said:
doug, your walking on a gold mine... I am watching this thread YOU lucky lucky dog.

Thanks Booty. I hope you're right. Every time I go over there the owners black cat appears to watch me. :o :o :o
-MM-

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I didnt get to go out today but i sure liked seeing your finds ;D congrats MM ;)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

weasel606 said:
I didnt get to go out today but i sure liked seeing your finds ;D congrats MM ;)

Thanks Weasel. Hope you & the Mrs. are well.
Hopefully more silver will follow this week. ;)
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread