Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters and internet friends. First off, I did NOT dig this coin, hard pressed to find it in Va. (I will get to the story of today's find in a second) I know am not the oldest digger on here, and not the youngest. I haven't been on here for very long, but have been diggin for some time. I post on here to share finds with fellow enthusiasts and I read many posts and look at all the very cool and historic finds from all over the globe. It's awesome to see the artifacts and learn even more about the hows and wheres...just plain good stuff. Then there's the stuff I do not understand, like today I got suckered into reading a post about gold being found, pictures where this and that bla bla bla. Then the same guy posted stating that someone else's finds were nothing and could be bought on ebay, and so on. I guess I'm old fashioned? Cause I just do not get it. I see no point in any of that. Do likes and banner stuff really mean that much? If it were a contest (and I mean the prize enough for retirement :laughing7:) then maybe I see why people may get a little funky. Otherwise, for what? I do not know about you, but life has turned into enough of a rat race anyway, so I see no point to the "contest" attitudes sometimes. I will continue to post (no few sour apples will spoil the enjoyment I get out seeing what people are finding on a daily basis) and I could always go back to what I have done for a few decades, showings my finds to neighbors, my son, my students and my dogs :laughing7: So I look forward to seeing your finds!

Sorry for the babble and on to the coin. I am a high school teacher and wrestling coach and I pull out my phone all the time and show the students pictures of what I have found. A lot of the properties and land I hunt has come from my students...not bad at all. They will say " my grandparents have..." and I'm like you had me at grandparents :) Or the we have an old house...and so on. So most of my students know of my hobby and passion for digging and unearthing things that they come to me with info. Like "have you tried so and so yet?" "What do you think is there?" It's actually pretty neat. I have never sold anything ever and display it all the best I can. So today, one of my seniors walks up to me and hands me an envelope and says "you will enjoy this more than me and just want to say thanks." Inside was this coin. I was blown away! I really do not know a lot about the coin, except probably the only one I will ever hold in my hand. Info from anyone knows would be great. I really want to display this one right. So today's finds...sorta :hello2:!!! Just thought I would share and HH!

Bronze2.jpg Bronze1.jpg

Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off very cool coin and great story. Secondly I do not understand why on earth somebody would make fake posts....but sadly it happens. We just have to rise above. As for the Banner I look at it this way. If my peers on here that I respect believe my find to be worthy of the Banner than yes it is important to me. I don't look at it as a contest or anything like that. I look at it as recognition for the best of the best. As I said previously I really could care less about the Banner tag. What I do care about is my fellow treasure hi tees on here that I have a whole lot of respect for believing my find is worthy or their vote. Keep up the good work with the kids

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your students hold you in high regard. So as a teacher you have achieved a high honor and from what this student has given you, then you sir, have made many impressions on our youth and I commend you. Congrats for your reward.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Coin Type: Bronze litra of Agathocles of Syracuse, 317-289 BCE
Mint and Date: Syracuse, 317-289 BCE
Size and Weight: 22mm, 8.2g
Obverse: Bust of Artemis right, quiver over shoulder.
ΣΩTEIPA
Reverse: Winged thunderbolt.
AΓAΘOKΛEOΣ above, BAΣIΛEOΣ below.
Ref: GCV 1200; BMC 2, 422; Calciati II pg. 277, 142.
Provenance: mediterraneancoins (Vauctions), May 2005
BW Ref: 003 026 030
Click on the picture for a larger scale view of the coin
Artemis the huntress, labelled "Saviour," is pictured with her quiver over her shoulder, and her hair in a practical yet flattering swept-back style. Compare this with a Roman Republican depiction of her Roman equivalent, Diana, here. There is no change over 200 years – quite a good demonstration of the Roman reverence for their own classical history!
On the other side is an elaborate winged thunderbolt. This is not at all how thunderbolts are portrayed in modern times. Now, they tend to be jagged lines, or clusters of them, but the represention shown here was quite normal 2,000 years ago.
Source: Ancient Coins Of The Month
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread