Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Not sure about the bronze issue, but, yes, that does happen to aluminum. The hardware stores sell a 'gel' that removes oxidation and somewhat protects the aluminum. Can't recall the name right now.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Moe

Electrolytic cleaning can start bronze disease which being progressive can totally destroy a coin or item.
Mechanical cleaning back to bare metal or picking out small spots with a metal tool works but every trace of the disease must be removed.
Next degrease the item in acetone or alcohol, dry and soak in a solution of sodium sesquicarbonate to reduce chlorides and again allow to dry. Then treat with BTA (benezotriazole). Soak in a 5-7% solution for another week.
Its a lot of work. Even then when the item is completely dry its best to use a conservation wax or lacquer to finish off.

Brian

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.

Please post pics of items with bronze disease and aluminum corrosion.

Moe

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,

I know a lot of people use reverse electrolysis to clean their beach finds. Isn't more of a rare thing to get bronze disease started by electrolysis?

Moe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread