Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back at low tide, as the sun was setting, I discovered a red bronze
boat rudder that had been broken off at the shaft. I excavated it from the mud and carried it 1/4 of a mile through rough watery terrain. Then at home I cleaned it up.

Initially believing it to be fairly old I later realized it has what appear to be relatively modern stainless steel bolts in it. It is about 21 inches tall, 15.5 inches long, and weigh 68 pounds.

I can only imagine it came from a boat that got wrecked in the area in the last half century or so. I haven't found any other artifacts in the area that appear to be related to the rudder or the boat it came from. Perhaps the boat hit land and the rudder snapped off and it kept sailing without it. (The rudder does show damage on the bottom where it struck something so hard it bent it, and it can't be easy to bend 1 inch thick bronze).

20230217_171114.jpg

20230415_173020.jpg

In the same area I also found an old piece of folded brass. I straightened it out with a wooden mallet, cleaned it up, and discovered it to be a century old telephone sign. Wonder how that got in the ocean?
Polish_20230411_175231662.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread