1.4 MB · Views: 414

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across this over the weekend. I'm guessing a bronze ship spike. Any thoughts from you experienced beach hunters?
My first impression it looks like Gold to me. Maybe it’s on my mind �� what did it sound like? High pitch or low?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a mid (sharp) signal. There was a fair amount of green and black oxidation/corrosion on it so the signal was a tad misleading.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good - i'd be hitting that area harder - at least one more trip

OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heading back Saturday to do a proper grid search. I didn't really know what it was until I cleaned it otherwise I would have searched the immediate area harder.
Something to look forward to.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just asking
shouldn't it have some indication of being hammered?
No flat end, and the tip is curved - IMO
need dimensions

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
From looking at the round edges at the top and sides and the "chisel" shaped tip I would say it is a bronze bar and not a nail or spike.
I have seen similar bars from ancient cultures wich looks the same.
What sense would it made to cast ship spikes or nails with such round tops ?! Also chisel chaped tips causes more splitting of the wood.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
just asking
shouldn't it have some indication of being hammered?
No flat end, and the tip is curved - IMO
need dimensions

Good eye! But it is not hammered - you would definatly see some hammer marks on it and with hammering you didn´t get such round edges (also for what reason ?!).
This piece is casted.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems you made a double posting with your request. On the other thread someone posted a picture with ship spikes and one or two has indeet chisel shaped tips. But all of them on the picture also has a head and sharp edges. I still think it is a bronze bar.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was snorkeling and saw what looked like an old piece of wood got my attention real fast swung my MD over it and it rang out loud i found some ship spikes in the wood with a square head about the same size i have also found some that were longer with a round head and they were loose nice find

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the "hammered" head end might have broken off during the ship wreck because of force / stress placed upon it --it does indeed look like a 1800's era bronze spike to me

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top spike is brass 1800’s and bottom is bronze 1600’s... brass has that gold appearance and bronze has more of a pink color to it when conserved... and note chisel point on brass spike

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of bronze 1600 era spikes i pulled out of timbers i found at the cape that were exposed when one of the 2004 hurricanes washed away the dunes.A ranger there said i could take all the wood i can find off the beach.The timbers were too big.They were over 10 feet long and 3 feet thick.I did find part of a rudder post that has copper sheathing and nails on it that i brought back.It wasnt fun lugging a 80 pound piece of wood down the beach for several miles.Now i know how shipwreck survivors felt when the had to carry something heavy down the beach.

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
This is what I found scuba diving a few years ago. Looks pretty similar.
15182982819111935374249.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread