May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lined up some woods on my hit list for the future, I hope to do as well as you have :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:
I've lined up some woods on my hit list for the future, I hope to do as well as you have :icon_thumright:
Well you never know in woods, it's just the shot gun butts they drive you mad. The one's on the picture are just a small percentage of the amount I :'( found.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. I love the brooch, and themble. I like to hunt the woods. A large area of my site is in the woods. I love it. Congradulations on the finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
Well you never know in woods, it's just the shot gun butts they drive you mad. The one's on the picture are just a small percentage of the amount I :'( found.

I know, thats why I've never done well, I just give up with a pouch full of cartridges :laughing7:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
This is the back of the brooch setting, does look shell like.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 328

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Maybe the silver ring was part of a utensil/knife to retain the handle? I have a bronze ring like that, it dates close to medieval. I don't care for forest detecting but we do detect where we can, LOL! HH, Mike

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds! Maybe the silver ring was part of a utensil/knife to retain the handle? I have a bronze ring like that, it dates close to medieval. I don't care for forest detecting but we do detect where we can, LOL! HH, Mike
Hello Mike, it could be something like that but more modern (18th/19th century).

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
robfinds said:
Alnitak said:
robfinds said:

HH Robert.

That's a tarnished metal back for the cabochon on the front.
Forgive my ignorance Alnitak, But what's a cabochon ?.

It's a type of polished cut stone. Typically it will be backed with metal when made into jewelry. Malachite is a very popular rock to use for cabochons due to the unique patterns and green colors. Here's a modern polished malachite cabochon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/61-11-Ct-Oval-M...66:2|39:1|72:1240|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

Typically brooches or pendants are where you see cabochons used in jewelry. Here is a little more on cabochons on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabochon

The one you posted looks like a malachite cabochon, probably with a silver or other metal back. What does the other green side look like cleaned? It could be shell, but it looks so much like malachite, and that's such a common semi-precious stone used for those purposes, that I doubt it would be shell.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Alnitak said:
robfinds said:
Alnitak said:
robfinds said:

HH Robert.

That's a tarnished metal back for the cabochon on the front.
Forgive my ignorance Alnitak, But what's a cabochon ?.

It's a type of polished cut stone. Typically it will be backed with metal when made into jewelry. Malachite is a very popular rock to use for cabochons due to the unique patterns and green colors. Here's a modern polished malachite cabochon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/61-11-Ct-Oval-M...66:2|39:1|72:1240|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

Typically brooches or pendants are where you see cabochons used in jewelry. Here is a little more on cabochons on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabochon

The one you posted looks like a malachite cabochon, probably with a silver or other metal back. What does the other green side look like cleaned? It could be shell, but it looks so much like malachite, and that's such a common semi-precious stone used for those purposes, that I doubt it would be shell.
the green side looks no different clean, the thing is not very thick and feels light. that's why I thought shell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions